Thread: Steam Dryer

Default Steam Dryer

I've come across a few steam dryers. Do you test the steam function? If so, what should I be looking for. Does it come shooting out like a steam shower, and how long does it usually take. Should it be connected to the hot or cold water side?

Inspection Referral
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: Steam Dryer

I have no clue….

I would disclaim them since washers & dryers are not considered "Real Property" and are not installed applances. I know they sometimes convey with the home, but it virtually impossible to test their operation unless you wash and dry a load laundry.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Take your clothes off and run them in the steam cycle.

""" Revel in smart features like SteamFresh™ that freshen up clothes in no time, and fit your busy lifestyle"""

"""Using the STEAM SANITARY Tmcycle New STEAM SANITARY TM cycle is ideal for sanitizing non washable items quickly and easily using the power of steam alone.
    Recommend to use this cycle for cotton and polyester material. (Do NOT use for urethane foam, down feathers or delicates items """

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You cannot see steam, since you cannot see steam you really can't test the function without putting clothes in. You could run the dryer and see if you notice moisture and heat but that's about it.

Steam dryers also have a small container in which you must place water, preferably distilled water if you use the feature quite a bit.

I have both a dryer with the steam cycle and washer with the feature also.

My dishwasher also has a steam function fwiw.

Also a misnomer in the link Jerry provided - You can also throw the item in your dryer along with a wet item. The wet item will produce steam to de-wrinkle the dry item.

I don't know any dryer that would get hot enough to produce steam from a wet towel.

These have all had a water line connection. The water reservoir would probably make better sense to allow you to use distilled water. It would help here. The minerals are probably going to clog the nozzle before too long if they actually use it.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

I don't check dryers, since they very rarely stay with the house.
    I did check a range that had a steam feature once and burned the crap out of my hand when I opened the oven door. That was the first and only range with a steam feature that I had seen.

The only time I ever "tested" a washer and dryer system was when I accidentally flooded somebody's tile bathroom and use a bunch of their towels to sop up the water. I got everything cleaned up and quickly threw the towels into the washer for a quick cycle and then into the dryer, folded them up neatly when they were done and put them back on the shelf. LOL, no one was the wiser.

Last edited by Dana Bostick; 01-27-2015 at 10:49 AM.
    True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

I would stay away from appliances - your just opening the door to much more liability - what if the toaster oven fails (OK a bit dramatic) but the point is most likely you do not have the factory procedure for testing the appliance or the time and in most cases your time is worth more than the value of the appliance. Stick to the property - far more stuff to deal with than getting caught up in a used dryer that is worth $ 200.00

I disclaim the appliances but in this area they stay in the house unless the seller insists on keeping them. Sometimes the buyers insist on removal of old junk appliances.
    So they are part of the sale and I check them out for my clients.
    Steam dryer - I would check for a water line that is not leaking and a vent hose that can handle steam heat. No, I don't turn them on when the controls take 20 minutes to figure out.

Checking out appliances can win you a few Brownie points.
    I take a pic of the the fridge door open a crack. That means it works and it was cool in there. Range - try the top burners at least and open the oven door check the oven light. Hood fan must be inspected. Dishwasher if it hasn't been operated for a while and I am not super busy, I'll run it thru a rinse cycle. Clean dishes in there, that is good enough. Writing it took longer than doing it.

I report that the appliances were not inspected, but add 6 or 7 pics of the appliances. I will include any faults I came up with and my clients appreciate it. Simple.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Doane View Post
    I would stay away from appliances - your just opening the door to much more liability - what if the toaster oven fails (OK a bit dramatic) but the point is most likely you do not have the factory procedure for testing the appliance or the time and in most cases your time is worth more than the value of the appliance. Stick to the property - far more stuff to deal with than getting caught up in a used dryer that is worth $ 200.00
    Not sure where you are located, but in my area (and according to ASHI SOP), we are REQUIRED to inspect appliances. ASHI Sop 10.1 The inspector shall inspect...F. Installed ovens, ranges, surface cooking appliances, microwave ovens, dishwashing machines, and food waste grinders by using normal operating controls to activate the primary function.

If you are so afraid of liability, maybe you should find another line of work

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Not sure where you are located, but in my area (and according to ASHI SOP), we are REQUIRED to inspect appliances. ASHI Sop 10.1 The inspector shall inspect...F. Installed ovens, ranges, surface cooking appliances, microwave ovens, dishwashing machines, and food waste grinders by using normal operating controls to activate the primary function.

If you are so afraid of liability, maybe you should find another line of work
    The operative word there is 'installed'. The appliances listed under ASHI sop 10.1 are typically considered built-in and not easily removable. These appliances typically convey with the property. Based on the above, would you be obligated to inspect a free standing toaster sitting on a countertop? Wouldn't think so....

Let's not split hairs. Major appliances are important, and if you want to argue whether they are installed or just parked there, go ahead. If the client wants to use what is there, then you could either check them or just stand there while they check them.

One incident that comes to mind, the seller had pulled the 30 amp dryer connection out of the mobile home to operate his welder. My single lady client moved in and discovered that the dryer didn't work. Then the electrician reported major wiring faults in the crawlspace. I had called for multiple electrical repairs and I had disclaimed the appliances, but still, simply testing the start button on the dryer would have given us the heads up on an expensive repair. Expensive because Mr Sparky had to go deep into the dirty crawlspace, tsk tsk.

www.allsafehome.ca

Normal operating controls? Ya okay, what do you call normal operating controls, and with all the bells and whistles on some appliances (i.e. ovens with self clean feature) if not tested, you can be sure you will get a call if it doesn't work, since its a very important feature. Ditto steam function in dishwasher dryer, washer machine?

What about an ice maker? Sure there is ice in the tray, but who says the maker is actually working?

And sellers have been know to swap appliance out and replace with older units. So do you take the serial numbers down too? I have on occasion.

Washers and dryers along with anything that is not hard wired and or hard plumbed are not what I would consider part of the house. The problem is they can be swapped , abused

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Normal operating controls? Ya okay, what do you call normal operating controls, and with all the bells and whistles on some appliances (i.e. ovens with self clean feature) if not tested, you can be sure you will get a call if it doesn't work, since its a very important feature. Ditto steam function in dishwasher dryer, washer machine?

What about an ice maker? Sure there is ice in the tray, but who says the maker is actually working?

And sellers have been know to swap appliance out and replace with older units. So do you take the serial numbers down too? I have on occasion.
    I'm not required to operate the controls, not yet anyway, so I only do that if it is simple knobs or if the client really needs to see it work.
    Sometimes the women like to show us how it works, that's ok, I play dumb and stand back. Joke it up a bit, while she tries it out. Always, always make sure that oven is turned off.

Yes, the SOP's will need to be more specific about the special features. I don't try the special features and my clients know that from my report.
    Ice-maker, if I can find a cup or glass, check it for ice, try the water. No cup, so sorry, I couldn't try it.
    For ID, I have pictures.
    I used to collect serial #s but now I check for basic function and take a picture of it. Takes the same amount of time but is more useful.

I guess my point about testing is it shows that the electrical or gas is available. It is not an inspection of the appliance, just a quick check of basics.

Everybody just do what you think is best and have a great year.!!

www.allsafehome.ca

Here in Wisconsin our (State) Standards of Practice do not require us to observe (inspect/operate) household appliances. However, I do operate most as I would feel kinda foolish not doing so. I do not operate laundry appliances. Furthermore, I do not operate the olden type dishwashers 'cause you can't always drain them after a few minutes of running. Nothing worse than having a leak and not being able to drain it at shut-down. My reports include the following Appliance Disclaimer......

NOTE: Operating and reporting on appliances, including kitchen and laundry units, is at the option of the inspector and is done only as a courtesy to client (Wisconsin law does not require their inspection). Inspector is not responsible or liable for any operational, performance or other deficiencies.

Please feel free to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Low View Post
    Here in Wisconsin our (State) Standards of Practice do not require us to observe (inspect/operate) household appliances. However, I do operate most as I would feel kinda foolish not doing so. I do not operate laundry appliances. Furthermore, I do not operate the olden type dishwashers 'cause you can't always drain them after a few minutes of running. Nothing worse than having a leak and not being able to drain it at shut-down. My reports include the following Appliance Disclaimer......

NOTE: Operating and reporting on appliances, including kitchen and laundry units, is at the option of the inspector and is done only as a courtesy to client (Wisconsin law does not require their inspection). Inspector is not responsible or liable for any operational, performance or other deficiencies.

Please feel free to use it.
    Just something to ponder ...

When a judge asks you why you chose to check one specific appliance, then you chose to not check another specific appliance (for the reasons given) yet did not recommend replacement of the appliances you chose to not inspect - hopefully your explanation will be able to explain away that descrepancy.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Low View Post
    Nothing worse than having a leak and not being able to drain it at shut-down.
    I operate all kitchen and laundry appliances. If there's a leak I want to know about it. I've come across some dandy leaks which is why I carry many towels in the truck. I don't worry about someone getting mad at me for causing any damage - A) I operated the appliance as it was intended to be operated or B) they should have told me to not operate it. Around here laundry machines usually stay with the home.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I check all major appliances - NOT toasters, coffee makers, portable microwaves, etc. and include the following disclaimers in my reports:
    • Appliances are tested by turning them on for a short period of time. Recommend that
    appliances be operated once again during the final walk through inspection prior to
    closing.
    • Oven(s), Range and Microwave thermostats, timers, clocks and other specialized
    cooking functions and features are not tested during this inspection.
    • Dishwasher, Clothes Washer and Dryer are tested for basic operation in one mode
    only. Their temperature calibration, functionality of timers, effectiveness, efficiency and
    overall adequacy is outside the scope of this inspection.
    Dryers with a steaming function are tested in basic drying mode only. The steam function takes too long and is a specialized feature.As far as leaks or, more importantly, cleaning them up, I carry a couple of those miracle drying cloths you can find at most auto part stores. They absorb an incredible amount & can be wrung out and ready to absorb again immediately. Also carry a 5 gallon pail so I don;t have to run to a sink.
    For old dishwashers or dishwashers that obviously have not been used in a long time, I usually do not test them and include the reasons why in my report - they very likely will leak due to seals and gaskets drying out, they pose a potential fire hazard and they are rather inefficient. I will recommend replacement.
    I take pictures of the appliance and the data tag. Appliance pictures go in my report, I retain ALL pics I take during the inspection. On the rare occasion when an appliance has been swapped, I have proof of what was there on the date of the inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

When a judge asks you why you chose to check one specific appliance, then you chose to not check another specific appliance (for the reasons given) yet did not recommend replacement of the appliances you chose to not inspect - hopefully your explanation will be able to explain away that descrepancy.
    Having served as a local court judge (a.k.a. Justice of the Peace), and having learned how those in the "legal" profession like to split hairs and twist things around, I couldn't agree more. Members would be well served to give heed to your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Feeder View Post
    Having served as a local court judge (a.k.a. Justice of the Peace), and having learned how those in the "legal" profession like to split hairs and twist things around, I couldn't agree more. Members would be well served to give heed to your advice.
    On that note, who here has been dragged into court (or heard tell of someone) over a faulty appliance they did or did not inspect?

www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    On that note, who here has been dragged into court (or heard tell of someone) over a faulty appliance they did or did not inspect?

This is where the house catches on fire due to an electrical fault , or a result of the dryer vent catching fire because of a malfunctioning dryer , the possibilities are endless - especially these days