Default Certain manufacturers smart meters in Canada are being replaced due to fire hazard

Crawl Space Creeper
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Certain manufacturers smart meters in Canada are being replaced due to fire hazar

A smart meter was installed at my house several years ago, and its still not hooked into the cellular system in order for the hydro to read it. Still being billed by two tier method pricing and rather then by time of use.

Our Liberal government is one big F.U. and how the hell they got voted back in with a majority is still mystery. No one will own up to voting for them. Meanwhile the idiots keep raising hydro rates which are driving jobs out of Ontario. This is just another case of their incompetence.

Thanks for the info. It was on the news the other night.

Default Re: Certain manufacturers smart meters in Canada are being replaced due to fire hazar

Raymond, people in BC that were afraid of the Smart meters have been allowed by BCHydro to keep their old mechanical meters. Maybe it's a West Coast thing. People nailed plywood rings over the meters so they couldn't be changed out and there were marches and threats of revolution.
    So now they pay extra for a foot soldier to come and check the meter. They pay a bit more but they gain a bit from the time of day rate.

FYI, for y'all, the provincial governments own the hydro generation plants, what we used to call Crown corporations. They sell cheap cheap power to the USA while gouging the locals. We pay more at peak times of the day. BCHydro is always short of cash for upgrades, 50 year old equipment to replace and moneys being tapped off for govnmt expenses.
    Power generated by water falling from the sky is dam expensive.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Power generated by water falling from the sky ...
    John,

There is your retirement - create a device which does just that ... without all the expenses and inconveniences of that dam thingy getting in the way ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Here is how my bill reads. Note the delivery charge, regulatory charges, debit retirement charge, and Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), and all the line items above are charged the HST!

Used 2,880 KWH (30 days)

1,000 kWh @ 8.8000 cents $ 88.00
    1,880 kWh @10.30000 cents $ 193.64

Delivery $ 208.06
    Regulatory Charges $ 18.18
    Debt Retirement Charge $ 20.16
    HST - $ 68.65

Total charges - $ 596.69
    Clean Energy Benefit $ 59.67
    Total - $ 537.02

As you can see there are more tax charges then the amount for energy used!

I should point out that the house is heated with a ground source heat pump, elect hot water tank with super deheater from geo system. Running two 500 watt electric heaters, and lighting. Everything is electric in the house now.

And over the next 5 years there are planned increases which will be approximately 5 % each yr.

The debt retirement charge btw has been paid off for years, and we are still paying it.

Now the energy consultant says hydro should increase rates at peak times so people will conserve! Its lunacy!

Arrrgghh don't get me started, its a mess..

[QUOTE=Raymond Wand;253420]Here is how my bill reads. Note the delivery charge, regulatory charges, debit retirement charge, and Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), and all the line items above are charged the HST!

Used 2,880 KWH (30 days)

Delivery $ 208.06
    HST - $ 68.65

Total charges - $ 596.69
    Total - $ 537.02

Raymond , your rates are still lower than what I pay in the Boston MA area , except for the delivery charges - does someone hand deliver you power to you or something

[QUOTE=Dwight Doane;253422]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Here is how my bill reads. Note the delivery charge, regulatory charges, debit retirement charge, and Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), and all the line items above are charged the HST!

Used 2,880 KWH (30 days)

Delivery $ 208.06
    HST - $ 68.65

Total charges - $ 596.69
    Total - $ 537.02

Raymond , your rates are still lower than what I pay in the Boston MA area , except for the delivery charges - does someone hand deliver you power to you or something
    Dwight, have you ever tried to carry 2880 kwh? Great price at twice the cost.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Dwight,

I should only be paying for what I consume that is -

'Whose hands are in your pocket?' as the advertising quip goes. Up here we know whose hands are in our pockets, but also the cookie jar.

I am paying roughly $0.26 per KW of which $0.10 is for delivery and meter reading , conservation and all the other crap. Now my Sister in law who lives in Puerto Rico is paying $ 0.46 KW and if they want to put a wind generator or solar panels in - they have a huge tax to pay and have to pay a tax (get this) on what they generate because the commonwealth of Pueto Rico operates the power company.

What makes matters worse is she has two teen age daughters with long hair and the hot water heater is electric (Ya I know it should be solar) and they like long hot showers (something tells me the breaker on the water heater trips on a regular basis )

I put solar electric on my house ten years already. 5 kw system. I paid $26,000. best move I ever made. 2800 sf house in Las Vegas. Summer time A/C will kill your wallet. Wife never turns anything off. Were on a budget with the power company. We pay $63 a month. Best move I ever made.

Delivery is the transmission lines, of course. They are separating the two expenses in your bill.

Crazy guys climbing out of choppers to fix them live wires. Somebody Google the video. BCHydro here farms out maintenance of the transmission lines to a private corp, BCTC. We have private contractors installing and replacing lines, too.

Maybe Ontario Hydro is planning something similar but unable to proceed past the debate stage?
    I sympathize with you tho, that is a huge tax you are paying.
    I pay 7.5 cents on the first 656 Kw and 11.2 cents above that. Tax is 10%.

We threw out the goof that tried to lay the HST on our backs so we pay a GST of 5%. But we way a Rate Rider ? tax of 5%.
    11.4 cents/Kwhr, tax included.

Power generated by water falling from the sky. Yes, I'm working on it.

Last edited by John Kogel; 02-05-2015 at 04:53 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca