Default Win8 Asus laptop help, please

I made the leap from Vista to Windows 8. This Asus keyboard is set up wrong.
    For apostrophe I get an E with an accent, eh?
    'Region' is set correctly and English.
    Some other keys are wrong. How to fix?

How to display Programs? I just get this elementary school reader page to hold my hand, but no list.
    So much is hidden from view, but they want me to buy apps to run my life.
    After 25 years I still hate Windows.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: Win8 Asus laptop help, please

Example, I copy some text and want to save it. To open MS Office I have to search for it? Why not just leave a shortcut somewhere? No, I have to pin WordPad to a taskbar, That's WordPad. I still don't have Word or Excel, have to search for them.
    I search for Program Files and get the list, but it doesn't show me a path to that list. So I can create shortcuts to programs, but not to the Program files folder. For 25 years, I've had a path to the file displayed somewhere.

I have now fixed the keyboard but not sure how, so don't know how to keep it right.

Yes, I know I just have to learn the new way, but have one more question. Why?

www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Yes, I know I just have to learn the new way, but have one more question. Why?
    Silly boy........if it was easy, there'd be a legion of computer nerds out of work, the economy would collapse and dogs living with cats and chaos in the world.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

How to display Programs? I just get this elementary school reader page to hold my hand, but no list.
    Somewhere recently I heard the latest window system was "fixed" to look and act more like the traditional windows desktop interface of old due to a multitude of complaints.
    That may be something worth pursuing.
    "I" converted from a longtime PC user to a Mac to avoid having to "relearn" yet again with the latest Windows fiasco. I made the mistake of buying a new system for my mom and cuss it every time I have to touch it. I am still learning to use the Mac but at least they don't seem to reinvent the wheel every few years.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

While this is an old joke, it seems to be current with every Windows release:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a manoeuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine.

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought 'Car95' or 'CarNT', and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single 'general car default' warning light.

8. New seats would force every-one to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say 'Are you sure?' before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally (a subsidiary of GM), even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the 'start' button to shut off the engine.
    Read more at snopes.com: General Motors Replies to Bill Gates

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Red face Re: Win8 Asus laptop help, please

John
    i hope you have better luck with your Asus than I have. I bought the Asus transformer book and I have had nothing but problems with Windows specifically, and I just can't get comfortable with ihow it operates in general. The tablet is not even close to equal to my wife's iPad and when I add the keyboard to turn it into a laptop, it's not even equal to my 10 yr old Dell laptop. Needless to say, I'm not a fan....
    Again, hope you have better luck than I have!

Quote Originally Posted by Cale Cameron View Post
    John
    i hope you have better luck with your Asus than I have. I bought the Asus transformer book and I have had nothing but problems with Windows specifically, and I just can't get comfortable with ihow it operates in general. The tablet is not even close to equal to my wife's iPad and when I add the keyboard to turn it into a laptop, it's not even equal to my 10 yr old Dell laptop. Needless to say, I'm not a fan....
    I am currently using a cheap Windows HP laptop. It's slower than winter molasses, but works just fine. I was looking at Transformers so your comments are timely. I like Windows 8.1. I love the touch screen on my little laptop and clients can sign the virtual contract directly on the screen. With Windows 10 around the corner, I'm tempted to wait.
    My only Apple product is a 5C which is a forgettable phone. My old Windows based phone kicked my iPhone's arse, but alas, my credit card app is only available for Apple and Android (which I despise even more).

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I am currently using a cheap Windows HP laptop. It's slower than winter molasses, but works just fine. I was looking at Transformers so your comments are timely. I like Windows 8.1. I love the touch screen on my little laptop and clients can sign the virtual contract directly on the screen. With Windows 10 around the corner, I'm tempted to wait.
    My only Apple product is a 5C which is a forgettable phone. My old Windows based phone kicked my iPhone's arse, but alas, my credit card app is only available for Apple and Android (which I despise even more).
    Yeah, I'm a fan of windows and to be honest I hadn't used an apple product in decades. That being said, I can see the attraction with the iPad air 2 as it seems to operate very smoothly. And I notice that now you can purchase a keyboard to effectively transform it into a laptop of sorts. Now if home guage can come up with software for it, I might make the move to apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Cale Cameron View Post
    Thanks. Mine is a basic laptop, cheap because it was a demo at the store, now sold out. I have no complaints with the hardware as yet. The speakers are feeble tinny buzzers, typical.
    I learned Vista and will learn Windows 8.

My secret to long battery life is this - keep the dern thing plugged in to the wall! Then when you need portable power, the battery will be strong. I got 6 years from my Compaq and the battery is still good. It has an intermittent flickering screen that is a connection problem, thin filaments pasted to a thin wafer circuit board.

www.allsafehome.ca

Updates: to change keyboard settings, hit the Alt Car key only once.

To use Windows Office use Office Online or be happy with WordPad or buck up cash for OfficeTheNewVersion.

Program Files are Apps now.

RE: Crappy hardware, My keyboard starting acting up or rather, not acting on the middle keys. N, M, H, J, Y, U, 6 were all dead unless they were struck heavily, forcibly, or repeatedly, or all 3. Naturally the harder I hit them the worse things seemed to get. Working on a report in the privacy of my truck and people are looking at me funny.

What to do? Leave it with a Geek for a week? I need this thing every day for werk.
    So here is what I done today.
    Took out the 10 screws, unzipped the keyboard from the chassis, looked at the ribbon connection between the two halves. No breaks in the tape but it flexes there in the middle when you push the connection.
    I found a piece of dense spongy foam, cut a thin slice of it and taped that to the ribbon connection so that it has pressure on it when the keyboard is back in place.

Zipped it back together.
    I can't believe it! I fixed it! All keys work again with the gentlest of touch. Yes it is a POC, but anything you buy now is crap.

www.allsafehome.ca

EZ fix for bad connex.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    www.allsafehome.ca

EZ fix for bad connex.
    Good work John.... good bye warranty

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Klampfer View Post
    Good work John.... good bye warranty
    Yep. I'll just have to keep churning out reports on my patched up keyboard.

www.allsafehome.ca

I have an Asus laptop and like it. Windows 8 was the pits so I had the computer changed to 7 with a S.S. drive. Even if MS comes out with Windows 43 I'm not budgin off of what I have now - can't stand the agony.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an Asus laptop and like it. Windows 8 was the pits so I had the computer changed to 7 with a S.S. drive. Even if MS comes out with Windows 43 I'm not budgin off of what I have now - can't stand the agony.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Eric that was my plan last fall, load Win 7 or find an old stock Win 7 laptop.

Now I am used to the quirky Win 8. If I can't find whatever, I use the Search function.

Re: my botched warranty, I bought the thing at Future Shop (Canadian big box electronics store). So guess what big box electronics store shut its doors forever just last week? I'm just lucky my laptop wasn't sitting in their geek shop.

www.allsafehome.ca