Thread: working plan???

Default working plan???

Looking for some opinions/suggestions on my plan to start a home insp. business. I am 55, have 10+ yrs exp. in bldg/remodeling. Have been in oil field environmental industry for last 20 yrs. Preparing to attend 12 day classroom training course from AHIT for TX licensing, then start a business while keeping my current job for maybe a year(I work 14 days on 14 off). I have done a ride along with an experienced/ successful inspector in my area & plan on going again(THANKS MIKE), have also been following/ reviewing this site for several weeks. I know this was a lengthy introduction but thanks in advance for any feedback/ advice on plan.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Hello Russell Pyle,

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

If you are a business owner please accept this gift for making your first post: http://www.inspectionreferral.com

If you are a home buyer, seller or DIYer, this gift is for you: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home-i...als/member.php

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: working plan???

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Pyle View Post
    ... start a business while keeping my current job for maybe a year(I work 14 days on 14 off).
    Going to the "My Profile" at the top of the page and putting in your location (Texas is a big state) would be the first thing I'd do.

That way inspectors in your actual location may be able to offer more specific market condition information on your plan.

That said, and don't take this as a flippant reply, but one that most overlook - plan on keeping your current job for several years as it takes a lot of effort to get a home inspection company going and actually making money. If you plan on keeping your current job 4-5 years and manage to get enough home inspection business to quite your current job earlier, great for you, but that way you are not discouraged by thinking you can quit your current job in one year and find out you need to keep it for 2-3 years.

Brian has a Cost of Doing Business (or some name similar to that) application you will want to work through and find out your actual cost of doing business - that will likely be a real eye opener.

Other than the above, insert your actual location in Texas and listen to the advice of other Texas inspectors.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

OK Jerry I'll try to get that on there, I live in Bayside south gulf coast. I'm kind of worried about my job lasting another 3 yrs, oil field is hitting another low again.

Like Jerry said, keep your day job. Your schedule of 14/14 is really great for starting a part time inspection business. When I started my business, I kept my real job and scheduled inspections on weekends and later afternoons.

Starting and running a home inspection business is hard work. Marketing is also something that can take a huge amount of time. Depending on the market you are in, you may get up to speed in a couple years, or if you are in a large market, with a lot of inspectors, you may find yourself being the little guppy in a pool of sharks, and struggle for a long time.

A very important part of starting a home inspection business is knowing the market you are in, and your chance of survival. A brand new inspector has very little to offer except cut rate prices to try to drum up business. If you are in a major city where there are hundreds of established companies, your chance of survival is much less than in a smaller market.

Thanks for reply, I think I'm in a good area with sales of week-end & vacation homes from being on the coast, will not put in my resignation yet though.

Ditto to the other comments. Mike Crow has a program that many have used and like for fast starting a HI business. You might check him out.

I recommend a minimum of ten ride-a-longs with experienced inspectors. Join one of the big three associations that has a local chapter. Joining my local NAHI chapter was one of the best things that I've done to improve my business and inspections.

AND.....Being able to communicate is as important as being a good inspector. If you don't have decent communication skills, this will be a tough business for you.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.