Thread: WOW!!!!!!

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default WOW!!!!!!

Very surprising nobody was killed in this explosion.

Watch the video. It's eye popping.

WATCH: Video Shows House 'Disintegrate' After Manahawkin, N.J. Explosion | Barnegat-Manahawkin, NJ Patch

Member Benefits1
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: WOW!!!!!!

That would really have made a great video if it had been caught closer up - WOW! is right.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"Wow!"Is right! Great safety reminder for all of us. Hope all involved can recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Cale Cameron View Post
    "Wow!"Is right! Great safety reminder for all of us. Hope all involved can recover.
    I remember seeing it on the Nightly News: No one was killed, but 16 injured. They think it was a Gas Leak that was set off by a spark.

Charles Woodie Wallace
    Top2Bottom Home Inspection LLC
    Edmond, OK
    Top 2 Bottom |
    t2bhomeinspection@outlook.com

Incredible to say the least. I have a question just out of curiosity, here in the Puget Sound Area they allow a gas furnace to be installed in an attic space - they're installed on their side. Do any of you out there run into this and, what are your thoughts about it? Makes me wonder about seismic activity and connections nobody ever sees nor can smell.

Jim

x 045.jpg

Last edited by Jim Hintz; 02-27-2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add photo

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Incredible to say the least. I have a question just out of curiosity, here in the Puget Sound Area they allow a gas furnace to be installed in an attic space - they're installed on their side. Do any of you out there run into this and, what are your thoughts about it? Makes me wonder about seismic activity and connections nobody ever sees nor can smell.

Jim

x 045.jpg
    The furnace would be required to be designed for horizontal installation, not all are.

Also, that sediment trap is not a sediment trap, at best it is a 'handle" to grab onto when you lose your balance.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The furnace would be required to be designed for horizontal installation, not all are.

Also, that sediment trap is not a sediment trap, at best it is a 'handle" to grab onto when you lose your balance.
    Jerry, you can read the labels on the side of the unit so it has to be right....shish.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Jerry, you can read the labels on the side of the unit so it has to be right....shish.
    This Bob's HVAC is the only company I see doing this. They also make or used to make the filter compartments an "off" size so you'd have to buy "their" filters.

I see this often, and is a common installation. as JP said - as long as it is rated for horizontal installation. They hang from the framing typically with bolting, brackets, allthread and channel iron. Seismic should not be a problem. They are relatively light weight.
    Saves space by not being in the hall closet.

Robin Wells Guest

That would really have made a great video if it had been caught closer up - WOW! is right.
    Agreed.. and good reminder.

Here are some still photos.

Heroism amid chaos emerges from massive Stafford natural gas explosion | NJ.com

Wink Re: WOW!!!!!!

Jerry, nice catch on the wrong t configuration of the sediment trap "handle"!

- - - Updated - - -

Jerry, nice catch on T piping for the sediment trap!

I'd say that nearly 100% of all new construction here has Horizontal furnaces. I saw 4 today..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post

Jim

x 045.jpg

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Jim