Thread: sub panel

Default sub panel

This is a panel inside the trailer, that is surrounded by additions. Main service disconnect is outside. I know this is not right, but want to hear from you.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Default Re: sub panel

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Melville View Post
    This is a panel inside the trailer, that is surrounded by additions. Main service disconnect is outside. I know this is not right, but want to hear from you.
    I'm not sure what "surrounded by additions" is meant to convey. All grounds should terminate on the grounding bar, including the incoming grounding conductor and the auxiliary grounding electrode conductor(GEC). The latter has no place in a distribution panel unless the service is wa-ay far away, very unusual and IMO requiring an AHJ consult, if not formal sign-off, in the case of a service disconnect alone. If it is the service GEC rather than an auxiliary GEC, it belongs in the service itself, meaning with the disconnect.

In 'addition' to what David said,
    The mobile home has additions, so we assume circuits have been added or existing circuits have been extended. I think I see Al branch circuits, so the original fixtures need to be checked for corrosion and those additions need to be checked by a qualified electrician.

We have strict rules about adding to mobile electrical here. A licensed electrician issues an inspection certificate before the home changes hands. Why, because if the home ever catches fire, it can burn to the ground in 10 minutes or less.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    We have strict rules about adding to mobile electrical here. A licensed electrician issues an inspection certificate before the home changes hands. Why, because if the home ever catches fire, it can burn to the ground in 10 minutes or less.
    They take as much as 10 minutes to burn to the ground there? Must be because it is so cold there?

The typical time stated down here for a mobile home to burn to the ground down is 3-5 minutes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David,

the main panel is not attached to the building, is about 40 feet away. The trailer is surrounded by additions.

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

The typical time stated down here for a mobile home to burn to the ground down is 3-5 minutes.
    I couldn't punch "like"--because that sounds devastatingly horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Melville View Post
    David,

the main panel is not attached to the building, is about 40 feet away. The trailer is surrounded by additions.
    Is this a trailer park setting, where each trailer gets a pad, but the disconnects belong to the park, and are clustered at the front?

No, it is not in a park, It is a 1960 vintage trailer on a large wooded lot in the back country. Big ole ramshackle of a place with all the additions and porches. The electrical was in surprising good shape, most all of it upgraded, with the exceptions noted in the picture.