Thread: cut beams

cory nystul Guest

Default cut beams

DSCN7601.JPGDSCN7602.JPGDSCN7603.jpgDSCN7600.JPG

I found that in a 1940 house today, that somebody had cut some of the 2x6's to make way for ducting. I tried to show a progress around the main beam. Should additional support(s) be installed?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: cut beams

If there are no sags or other visible distress evident, it may be fine. One could always put in an extra column with footing for a couple hundred bucks.

I have seen this a few times. I suspect it was done at the time of the inspection. I would not worry about it unless the deflection is excessive. I would note it though.

Excessive notching and not allowed in that location.

PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

http://jeffghooper.com/

Am I the only one not seeing any notching?

I tried zooming in but still did not see the notches being referred to, where are the notches:
    - the top of the girder?
    - the bottom of the joists?
    - the sides of the joists?
    - ???

Maybe it is just too late and my eyes are not focusing?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

cory nystul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Am I the only one not seeing any notching?

I tried zooming in but still did not see the notches being referred to, where are the notches:
    - the top of the girder?
    - the bottom of the joists?
    - the sides of the joists?
    - ???

Maybe it is just too late and my eyes are not focusing?
    Nothing doesn't really explain. Portion REMOVED does. DSCN7601.JPG

Where that heater duct is i believe there used to be 3 2x6 laminated together. I am pretty sure the ducting was an after thought as forced air was not an option in 1940. Also if you zoom in and look at the bottom of the duct you can see possible signs of poor cutting.

The other side of the beam a few feet away was notched.DSCN7600.JPG.

This house was brutal. Way to much creativity by past owners.1.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

This house was brutal. Way to much creativity by past owners.1.JPG[/QUOTE]

Forgot to mention that lamp cord was from a lamp (male end still attached) run thru a wall plugged into a socket adapter.

Now I see ... the blind man says.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Now I see ... the blind man says.
    As he picked up his hammer and "saw".

PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

http://jeffghooper.com/

Force air heat was around in 1940. Also, at that time many gravity systems had conventional looking ductwork. Often the supply vents were on interior walls and returns on exterior walls, at least in my area.

- - - Updated - - -

Force air heat was around in 1940. Also, at that time many gravity systems had conventional looking ductwork. Often the supply vents were on interior walls and returns on exterior walls, at least in my area.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Beam looks intact, what ammounts to blocking to prevent joist twist has been cut out. Agreed not so goood but main support beam looks intact. I do however see what appears to be Termite mud tubes. Is that correct and if it is, how well did you probe the main beam for subsurface damage?

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Beam looks intact, what ammounts to blocking to prevent joist twist has been cut out.
    That was what I thought I was looking at the first few times, then I saw the cut beam - there is one photo which shows the cut part of the beam.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The bottom cord is a ledger on which the floor joist ends rest on. And it looks like that is a beam with the bolts through the bottom ledger go through the beam. You can see the joist ends butted up against the beam, and there is also lateral dimensional wood running perpendicular above the beam tying the two floor joists together.

This diagram looks like what we see in photos. Top centre diagram. woodbeam.jpg Accept the diagram shows a built up beam, rather than a solid wood beam.