Default green dot on receptacles

Anyone know what's up with the green dot on the receptacle. This is an optometrist's office. He didn't know.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: green dot on receptacles

Never mind. Hospital grade. I figured it was something like that. Took less time to google it than ask the question and post the photo.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Curt Raymond Guest

Hi John, I noticed these dots on a building and asked the head maintenance guy what they were for. He told me that the building had an emergency generator and that the ones with the dots are the receptacles that will power up if they need to go onto the generator. I have since seen the same thing in other buildings but they had red receptacles around the rooms.

Bob White Guest

I'd always been told that the green dots indicated isolated grounds and the red outlets were the vital (switched to generator/other consistent power source) ones that weren't allowed to go dead at power outages....

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Michael Larson Guest

As stated earlier.

The green dot on the face indicates only one thing - It's "hospital grade outlet"(tested more frequently on the production line to insure quality, especially blade and ground pin retention) These are priced at a premium.

Orange faced outlets are used do indicate "isolated ground".

Red faced outlets are used to indicate "generator or backup up power"

Green dot means isolated ground...meaning a ground that runs independently (and insulated I believe) back to the panel. Typically used for sensitive equipment and electronics.

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Barnicle View Post
    Green dot means isolated ground...meaning a ground that runs independently (and insulated I believe) back to the panel. Typically used for sensitive equipment and electronics.
    Matthew, I a sorry but that is incorrect. I of course would be willing to hear you out as to why you believe that.

Hospital Grade Receptacles
    In addition to complying with the general use requirements, hospital grade receptacles are specially designed and are subject to additional requirements of the standards. These include additional grounding reliability, assembly integrity, strength and durability.
    Hospital grade receptacles are offered in 15 A and 20 A straight blade of the ANSI/NEMA WD6 5-15, 6-15, 5-20 and 6-20 configurations. They are intended for use in accordance with the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70, Article 517 (Health Care Facilities) in the United States and the Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1 CAN/C22.1.02, Section 24 (Patient Care Areas) in Canada.
    Hospital grade receptacles have the same markings appearing on general use receptacles, but include additional markings denoting their intended use. These additional markings include the phrase "Hospital Grade" or "Hosp. Grade" appearing on the back of the receptacle (where visible during installation) and a green dot located on the face, visible after installation with a cover plate secured as intended.
    UL does offer listing to a special locking-type receptacle rated 20 A, 125 V. The identification is very similar except it is marked "Hospital only" with no green dot appearing on the face.

Were the hospital grade receptacles a gray color in the past, without the green dot? That's what I remember when I worked for a commercial electrician about five years ago. I haven't been around spec grade or hospital grade devices since then, so it has probably changed some.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Were the hospital grade receptacles a gray color in the past, without the green dot? That's what I remember when I worked for a commercial electrician about five years ago. I haven't been around spec grade or hospital grade devices since then, so it has probably changed some.
    The green dot has been on Hospital grade outlets for over 20 years.

Gray ones I believe are industrial/spec. grade devices.