Thread: What is this

Default What is this

I have not seen this before and wondered if anyone knows what it is. I am talking about the Orange things the SEC is coming through.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Default Re: What is this

I have not seen that before, but I would give a WAG that it is sensor coils to measure the current flow for the power company.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I wasn't the one that inspected the electrical, but they do appear to be some type of sensor coils.

There are called CTs or Current Transformers. They are used to monitor the electrical usage without using large meters (however, a CT meter must be used).

The coils are calibrated such that for a given current through them, they produce a given voltage and current on the coils winding connections. That voltage and current may be a 10X factor, meaning that 100 amps through the conductor produces 10 amps through the coil. The coil leads are then connected to the CT power meter, basically the power meter reads the 10 amps and calculates the reading out as though it were 100 amps.

Smaller conductors to the power meter and other advantages. Typically found only on larger services. I've found them on services over 600 amps (not always, but that is where I typically found them).

By the way, the minimum overhead service drop conductor clearance above that roof is 18" at that riser - and you ain't got it. That flashing is not a proper flashing either, it is going to leak (probably already does).

Also, those overhead service drop conductor look like they head toward the rear (top of the photo) and, if so, that means they are crossing too much roof to be that close to the roof.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Service Clearance Chart,

Attached Files Attached Files
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

"By the way, the minimum overhead service drop conductor clearance above that roof is 18" at that riser - and you ain't got it. That flashing is not a proper flashing either, it is going to leak (probably already does)."

"Also, those overhead service drop conductor look like they head toward the rear (top of the photo) and, if so, that means they are crossing too much roof to be that close to the roof."

He saw that stuff, but did not know what the Orange coils were. Thanks for the info. It did have a 200-amp and a 150-amp service panel. I do not know if the meter looked any different or not.

I did not know they are called " Current transformers", but they are a type of induction coil. Much like a timing light that clips over spark plug wires.
    Warning: Under no circumstance cut the wires from the coil, doing so will result in electrical use that does not show up on the meter.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Shannon Guinn Guest

Rick,

Since you are a fellow Georgian, I was wondering if you have ever seen magnets or the like (we still have the spinning metal discs in some locations of the county) duct taped to meters in order to slow it down. I have seen what appeared to be speaker magnets done this way and just wondered if it was exclusive to the mountains.