Default Foam Insulation in the crawlspace

A home on Oregon's South Coast with foam insulation in crawlspace ceiling. Aside from being ugly and a pain for the plumber. Are there inherent problems with the material in this installation? Thanks for your comments. Michael

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Foam Insulation in the crawlspace

We have a few "mold remediation" contractors in my area that do this. It makes a huge mess. I saw one last year where the overspray sealed the access panel on a HVAC unit, and completely covered the gas shut off valve.
    Recently I inspected a house that had stains on the foam, as well as a water puddle indicating a leak. When I probed the area, I discovered they had sprayed over a leaking pipe as well as moisture damaged sub flooring.

I've used spray foam on the underside of the open crawlspace at my home. Its been in place for over a decade. No problems, but there are no plumbing pipes run through the area. Makes a big difference on the living room floor in the winter.

Unless you know the components of the mixture it could off gas under certain conditions, but the pics show this area is vented. And like Jack says there is always the possibility of hidden damage.

The issue I have with foam is that it's pretty nifty and hiding problems that may develop. Also, what about junction boxes - are they simply sprayed over?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

The spray foam looks fairly white in the picture. Did it have an ignition barrier? Out here they require it for unoccupied spaces. I often see a sprayed on paint like coating on attic insulation.

Was this foam open cell or closed cell insulation? Open cell will let some water (moisture) come through. Closed cell will not. Did you press on the foam to check the density?

If electrical cables are coated with foam, does it now create problems with the cables in regards to overheating? (not in free air space)

Jeff