Default Damaged fins on new Condenser, new construction photos

Brand new construction home with two units. Both units had fin damage. If I were the buyer I would not accept a unit in this condition on a new home. It remains to be seen if the builder will replace them.

IMG_8538 - Copy.JPG

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Damaged fins on new Condenser, new construction photos

The builder should have no problem going back to his HVAC sub, or supplier to get them replaced.

Bill Chinook Guest

He'll probably get Jose out with his fin straightener and call it a day.

New construction...

The builders in my area would rather pass the buck, and make someone else pay for it, than have a repair come out of their pocket. If I found this on new construction, the builder would be on the phone before I left trying to get it replaced. Not that they are great guys, they just don't want to pay for something themselves.
    This was clearly delivered as damaged goods.

From the photo it looks like dirt.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

yeah, Looks more like dust from a vacume filter that some smrt guy just had to beat against the a/c unit while it was running.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, Looks more like dust from a vacume filter that some smrt guy just had to beat against the a/c unit while it was running.

Damaged from the factory? How do fins get damaged behind the grill to the extent they are?

I would think that Gene (the OP) would know if the fins were bent, or it was dirt. The fins could have been damaged during assembly or shipping to dealer, and 1. missed quality control, or 2. a new outside grill was installed to cover up the damaged coils.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I would think that Gene (the OP) would know if the fins were bent, or it was dirt. The fins could have been damaged during assembly or shipping to dealer, and 1. missed quality control, or 2. a new outside grill was installed to cover up the damaged coils.
    Yes, the fins were bent. I examined them up close. This was not the first that I have seen that had damaged fins, but the grill cover was on.

I would think that Gene (the OP) would know if the fins were bent, or it was dirt.
    I wasn't doubting what he was saying - I was just commenting on what it looked like. What I was having trouble with was why would dirt have a pattern like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think that Gene (the OP) would know if the fins were bent, or it was dirt.
    I wasn't doubting what he was saying - I was just commenting on what it looked like. What I was having trouble with was why would dirt have a pattern like that.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

The HVAC contractor just needs to use a fin straightener on the condenser coil. There is more then enough surface area still exposed on the coil. It should be no more then a cosmetic issue. Unless you noticing an actual problem with the cooling system it is not a big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

The HVAC contractor just needs to use a fin straightener on the condenser coil. There is more then enough surface area still exposed on the coil. It should be no more then a cosmetic issue. Unless you noticing an actual problem with the cooling system it is not a big deal.

Bill K
    Nationally certified TABB Air and Hydronic Testing and Balancing technician

This is a New House with New Condenser - I don't want to sound like a prick but if I am paying for new - I don't want it damaged, I don't want the fins straightened out either - - Yes it is cosmetic and potentially some damage to the coil , but also it will not run to the full specs - yes it will run but heat transfer will not be factory spec.

Who here wants to buy a new car with a dent or scratch ? maybe it was dented and had some body work done and now has body filler or areas where the under coating or rust protection is damaged - Same thing here

Again - the key is NEW

my feeling on this is - Any builder who wants to pass crap like this off to customer talks about the quality of the work. The builder should have found this before inspection and offered a reduction or replacement - when I see stuff like this , I start looking much closer and documenting much more . Unlike many of you , I usually work for customers during construction as their representative and inspector - I check the work as it happens - Some people here seem to let stuff like this slide - I understand if it is used , pre owned home or building but it is not - I am appalled any of you would accept anything other than new as acceptable - or at least a big discount on the item.

Where was the HVAC guy when this was put it ? - he should have said something or rejected it. No - get away with what you can has become the norm, no pride in the work these days

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen the pressure washer guys do the same exact thing.

- - - Updated - - -