Thread: Snowmelt boiler

Default Snowmelt boiler

The snow melt boiler exhaust vent had a damper on it that was drafting into the space. This isn't correct? What would cause this?
    Thanks

phps2ugz7AM.jpgphpjj9dM7AM.jpgphpsJd5JQAM.jpg

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Snowmelt boiler

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Edwards View Post
    The snow melt boiler exhaust vent had a damper on it that was drafting into the space. This isn't correct? What would cause this?
    Thanks

phps2ugz7AM.jpgphpjj9dM7AM.jpgphpsJd5JQAM.jpg
    Most likely the weight on the barometric damper needs to be adjusted.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Edwards View Post
    Thanks
    I've never seen anyone do that. Did you find any CO leakage at the damper?

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Thanks, and yes I could definitely feel leakage at the damper.

The damper needs to be level-from the photo it does not appear to be.

- - - Updated - - -

The damper needs to be level-from the photo it does not appear to be.

On a natural gas installation you would be red tagged here! Barometric damper only allowed on oil burners otherwise a draft inducer is needed for a cold start up along with a "spill" detector. But that is here in Ohio.

There is more going on there, then just the damper, look at all the rust on the top of the boiler and rust on the damper. Water entry down the flue spilling and rusting the top of boiler, needs further investigation.

No investigation needed. Products of combustion are condensing on a "cold" chimney and running back downhill. No draft inducer on the exterior of the appliance. If it ever was "code compliant" and inspected it needs to be updated because what you have is clearly not working. Hopefully this in a detached building and the CO and products of combustion are not infiltrating a living space.

- - - Updated - - -

No investigation needed. Products of combustion are condensing on a "cold" chimney and running back downhill. No draft inducer on the exterior of the appliance. If it ever was "code compliant" and inspected it needs to be updated because what you have is clearly not working. Hopefully this in a detached building and the CO and products of combustion are not infiltrating a living space.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all your observations, very helpful. The boiler was in a garage so not exactly a separate building, but all of your observations were originally noted. I was just interested in other opinions. Thanks again..

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all your observations, very helpful. The boiler was in a garage so not exactly a separate building, but all of your observations were originally noted. I was just interested in other opinions. Thanks again..

I feel further investigation is warranted due to corrosion occurring in areas of the flue that cannot be readily inspected. I would not want to pass it off since corrosion could be extensive, causing rust throughs or obstructions from damage of interior flue, and in and behind boiler housing and damage to heat exchanger in my opinion.

"The boiler was in a garage"
    i was afraid of that! The boiler manages to get running and establish a draft then someone decides they have to exit/enter the garage through the overhead door and super cools the combustion products with sub-zero temperatures. The boiler keeps running anyway regardless of the atmospheric draft presence and just add that someone forgets to shut the car off and lets it run to "warm up" in the morning. Let's even think where the make up air is going to come from. Of course all the vent pipes are rusted from all the condensation!

You did offer a free sign because it reminded you of a far off quite town, yes?
    Choices Nurenberg or Auschwetz

If it's in a garage in cold weather climate, the vent connector needs to be double walled (B-vent)

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

tom daley Guest

Ronald Betschman,

I dont understand your comment about "Nurenberg" or "Auschwetz" ? I presume that its an innocent remark, & its just me being a little over sensitive but perhaps you would explain what you mean?