Thread: WH venting

Default WH venting

I reported improper venting (and other issues).
    Realtor called to state her 'plumber' says that is how you do it in the 'county'.
    Anybody out there think this termination is acceptable? Those windows are kitchen and bathroom.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: WH venting

I hope no one on here thinks that is acceptable. Typical realtor reaction. I wish I could live in a world where reality is so subjective. Stick to your guns.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Thanks Jim
    I got home late yesterday and got that phone message from the realtor. I was in kind of a foul mood and didn't want to talk to her so I sent her an email, and cc'd the realtor for the buyer....in case you are interested in my reply...

"Hello Pam
    I wrote the report on the property at Indian Valley road.
    Water heater installation and the safe installation of vents for the water heater are typically mandated by 1) the manufacturer (Reliance, in this case); and 2) by local, state and national codes which are written in order to provide a safe installation. Most all agencies adopt national codes (rather than take the trouble to write their own), but can make certain changes for local conditions, but almost none will lower the standards.

I am very surprised by the statement from your plumber. This water heater installation is not a safe installation. Look at the flue pipe termination - it is right next to the kitchen window and the bathroom window. Flue gases contain products of combustion which include undesireable by-products that you don't want in your house and may contain potentially deadly gases such as carbon monoxide. This is an unsafe installation and violates every state and national code, and your plumber is saying that in the county area outside of Novato, they approve this??? I think he is mistaken in his assessment. But if he wants to put that into writing (like I have put my findings in writing - my report), then I would like to meet with him at the county building department to get this straightened out. He is wrong. Am I guessing that he is wrong? No, he is wrong. The flue pipe has improper termination - next to a wall; distance above the water heater cabinet (should be minimum 5' above); not above roof line; and last but not least improper clearance to combustibles.

And also, a water heater should be elevated above the surrounding area - typically a 3" concrete pad or platform will do nicely,"

Or you could have just said:

"If the plumber really thinks that is okay, have the plumber provide a $1,000,000 insurance policy to help cover any injuries or deaths from it ... and if the plumber supplies that insurance policy ... Pam ... I suggest you do not use that plumber for any work on your family's house, or any friends or relatives - at least not the ones you like."

Pretty much gets the idea across without all that mumbo-jumbo of codes and stuff.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thumbs up Re: WH venting

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Weekly View Post
    Thanks Jim
    I got home late yesterday and got that phone message from the realtor. I was in kind of a foul mood and didn't want to talk to her so I sent her an email, and cc'd the realtor for the buyer....in case you are interested in my reply...

"Hello Pam
    I wrote the report on the property at Indian Valley road.
    Water heater installation and the safe installation of vents for the water heater are typically mandated by 1) the manufacturer (Reliance, in this case); and 2) by local, state and national codes which are written in order to provide a safe installation. Most all agencies adopt national codes (rather than take the trouble to write their own), but can make certain changes for local conditions, but almost none will lower the standards.

I am very surprised by the statement from your plumber. This water heater installation is not a safe installation. Look at the flue pipe termination - it is right next to the kitchen window and the bathroom window. Flue gases contain products of combustion which include undesireable by-products that you don't want in your house and may contain potentially deadly gases such as carbon monoxide. This is an unsafe installation and violates every state and national code, and your plumber is saying that in the county area outside of Novato, they approve this??? I think he is mistaken in his assessment. But if he wants to put that into writing (like I have put my findings in writing - my report), then I would like to meet with him at the county building department to get this straightened out. He is wrong. Am I guessing that he is wrong? No, he is wrong. The flue pipe has improper termination - next to a wall; distance above the water heater cabinet (should be minimum 5' above); not above roof line; and last but not least improper clearance to combustibles.

And also, a water heater should be elevated above the surrounding area - typically a 3" concrete pad or platform will do nicely,"
    You've spotted a lot of valid issues there. I typically work from the top-down or bottom-up: Termination clearance, min. 36" above roof. Min. total vent height of 5 ft or PMI, Listed flashing with clearance to combustible roof, How the chimney connector?, Makeup air?, etc.
    I like your approach requesting a meet with the AHJ code books in hand. Call his bluff.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Weekly View Post
    I reported improper venting (and other issues).
    Realtor called to state her 'plumber' says that is how you do it in the 'county'.
    Anybody out there think this termination is acceptable? Those windows are kitchen and bathroom.
    Classic. That guy is not a plumber. He's somebody who might know how to do some plumbing work.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Yep. and I've not heard back from the realtor.
    She's been schooled....and hopefully, her 'plumber' too.