Jennifer Hislop Guest

Default Survey- E-learning vs In-Person Training

Hello. My name is Jennifer Hislop and I am currently working on my master's thesis for the Instructional Technology program at Chestnut Hill College. Through my study, I hope to compare the effectiveness of corporate e-learning programs and one-on-one in-person training programs in a small office setting.

I currently work in the inspections industry so I hope to focus my study on the inspections/insurance industries. I hope that the information gained through my study will help small companies choose the most appropriate training method for their employees.

Please find the link to my survey below. It should only take between 15-20 minutes to complete and your participation would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CHCeLearn

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Survey- E-learning vs In-Person Training

I do not do polls or surveys; however, for what it is worth, and if it helps.

As an educator and one who is mandated by my many licenses to take classes, I will tell you there is no substitute for the human touch. Learning on the job is the best. Learning with a mentor, or small class is next. Then learning in a larger classroom. Followed by the least, online, or E-classes.

As an adjunct professor I have made classes for online and distance learning. There is one very crucial part of the learning experience that you can not get online. That is the ability to ask a question and have the ability to interact with the educator one on one during the class. That face to face ability really helps. All of my students who have done both make a point of telling me that my actual presence and additional information is priceless. But then I am a little animated.

PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

http://jeffghooper.com/

IMO, not everybody learns the same. I learn better on my own so E-learning works for me. If I have to wait for the instructor to tell a whole class of people a lot of general knowledge before he finally gets to the part I need to hear, it is a colossal waste of my time.

Specific questions can be answered by a human or from research.

I call on other people to see if I have my facts straight. They voice an opinion or state a fact based on their knowledge. Sometimes facts and opinions get confused.
    I can Google it and get similar responses, some factual, some opinionated.

I have sat through dozens of educational seminars. One day it was a Hardie plank expert. He handed out the manual. The manual is extremely helpful to me. I got nothing new from his lecture, so could have ordered the manual and stayed home.

Certain tasks you learn best by doing them. First Aid training, you do it over and over, every 2 years a refresher to make sure you do it right. Auto mechanics I learned by hanging out at the gas station, sweeping floors, changing oil, greasing stuff, in those days every moving part got greased. Then I was twisting wrenches, so one-on-one was the way to learn that skill. Physical skill, not much memory needed, one-on-one or at least hands-on.

Inspections is some of both but mostly reliance on memorized info. Past experience, and info gleaned from places like here. Ladder safety is hands-on, one-on-one. Roof issues, materials, repair methods, that is all stuff you store away, and you don't need to wait for somebody to put that in your brain for you.

Last edited by John Kogel; 04-03-2015 at 08:42 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

One thing about the presentations at Inspection World this year is that a few people would get embroiled in one particular aspect of the topic, and it would slow down the presentation so much that the presenter never got to complete the topic. It happened in the PEX tubing seminar and in the mobile home seminar. In that case, the E-learning would have been better. It is nice to be able to ask questions, but when there is a time limit it can easily derail the lesson if not kept in check.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    One thing about the presentations at Inspection World this year is that a few people would get embroiled in one particular aspect of the topic, and it would slow down the presentation so much that the presenter never got to complete the topic. It happened in the PEX tubing seminar and in the mobile home seminar. In that case, the E-learning would have been better. It is nice to be able to ask questions, but when there is a time limit it can easily derail the lesson if not kept in check.
    That is a problem with the instructor. He/she must keep things going. Inexperienced instructors can get bogged down with questions. Or even get derailed. With time good instructors and teachers learn how to keep that from happening. Some even require that all questions come at the end.

PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

http://jeffghooper.com/