Thread: range hood

william siegel Guest

Default range hood

Has anyone ever seen a range hood like this one. 1939 home. It vents into the attic.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: range hood

Bill,

My guess would be that they originally had an exhaust fan up at the top of that chase, to make it quieter.

Of course, that made the chase part of the grease laden air 'duct work', and that would not be allowed by today's standards or codes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Most state codes would not allow venting into the attic today, no matter what system was in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Bill,

My guess would be that they originally had an exhaust fan up at the top of that chase, to make it quieter.

Of course, that made the chase part of the grease laden air 'duct work', and that would not be allowed by today's standards or codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Temper View Post
    Most state codes would not allow venting into the attic today, no matter what system was in use.
    I would be a little surprised that venting a range hood into the attic has ever been allowed and definitely violates common sense.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.