Default Ontario Licencing MCS Announcement

It has come to my attention through an unnamed source that MCS will be licencing home inspectors under the purview of OACETT (Ont. Assoc. of Cert. Engineering Technicians and Technologists). Very similar to ASTTBC in British Columbia.

Associations will have no authority when this happens, OACETT will be responsible for admissions, review, discipline, and education will become the domain of the colleges. The associations will remain, and inspectors are not required to maintain memberships in the various associations.

The CSA standard is still being considered as to the new SOP. Other details are to be ironed out. Apparently there is a grandfathering provision as well, but the finer details of the whole licencing are not entirely complete.

Very pleased as this levels the playing field and takes the association conflicts and arguing out of the equation, finally!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Roy Cooke sr Guest

Default Re: Ontario Licencing MCS Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    It has come to my attention through an unnamed source that MCS will be licencing home inspectors under the purview of OACETT (Ont. Assoc. of Cert. Engineering Technicians and Technologists). Very similar to ASTTBC in British Columbia.

Associations will have no authority when this happens, OACETT will be responsible for admissions, review, discipline, and education will become the domain of the colleges. The associations will remain, and inspectors are not required to maintain memberships in the various associations.

The CSA standard is still being considered as to the new SOP. Other details are to be ironed out. Apparently there is a grandfathering provision as well, but the finer details of the whole licencing are not entirely complete.

Very pleased as this levels the playing field and takes the association conflicts and arguing out of the equation, finally!
    Thanks Ray .

Great news this could be the best thing for our Industry .
    We sure do not need a self appointed group having a say in Ontario's future.... Roy Cooke

Leveling of the playing field.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Thanks for the update - only time will really tell. It (OACETT) along with a few other entities was part of a discussion at the MCS H.I. panel meetings. There are also other potential bodies that include "Red Seal", and the "College of Trades".

From a personal choice OACETT or Red Seal make more practical sense. But until than we need be careful that it's not "official" until it becomes mandated by regulation.

I certainly agree that it takes any impartiality perceived or otherwise off the table.

On another note even the final MCS report seem to neutralize the certifications; license holders only would be recognized as a home inspector.

Be careful what you wish for.... I'm not convinced it'll be much better, just a different Board (with a different can of worms) and a bad Standard to boot.

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

Roy Cooke sr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Klampfer View Post
    Be careful what you wish for.... I'm not convinced it'll be much better, just a different Board (with a different can of worms) and a bad Standard to boot.
    How well does Licensing work IN BC . Are most happy or disappointed . Thanks for you post .Roy

Overall, I think everyone is happy with the licencing but perhaps more disappointed with the Licencing Board themselves as they've done little other than keep bumping annual fees, which are now pushing $500.

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

Could this be an April fools prank? Just asking because there's some out there questioning the "unnamed source" and the timing.

As stated before - be careful what you wish or ask for, because licensing is not the only concern of home inspectors. It has not to date solved the home inspector/consumer protection dilemma. I also get feedback about the cozy relationship between inspectors and realtors to just name one of the issues. Of course there are many other concerns.

Ha ha April Fools!

Thanks for playing along!

Roy Cooke sr Guest

Ha ha April Fools!

Thanks for playing along!
    Love it Ray you are the greatest, Much appreciated Big Time... Roy