Jeff Eastman Guest

Shannon Guinn Guest

Default Re: Hot wire to screw

That's a pretty funky little panel that appears to have some age on it. I can't recognize from the picture what brand it or the breakers are but I've not seen a breaker that's listed for this type termination. Maybe it was done in a hurry on fri evening a long time ago, or maybe it was what goes on in vegas stays in vegas.

Looks like a Zinsco, which says enough about it right there, however, for your question, that is because that breaker has a binding head screw terminal instead of a set screw type screw terminal.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by dan orourke View Post
    Jerry, is what you said improper or okay?
    Depends.

If you are referring to the binding head screw terminal, they are allowed for conductors #10 AWG and smaller - only, and that is on a 20 amp breaker so it is okay there as long as the wire is #10 or smaller and it looks like it is.

If you are referring to being a Zinsco ... well, I think you know what we think about those things ...

So ... *regardless* of what is wrong or not wrong with that panel, and being as it is a Zinsco (at least it looks like it to me - could be a Zinsco, Sylvania, Sylvania Zinsco, or whatever, but it has that Zinsco look to the breakers and bus bars), that kind of says more than enough right there ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com