Default Threats and the Truth

I was asked by an ASHI Chapter to give a presentation at a conference recently. I've never before presented at a conference but they were in a bind and I know that, at my age, it's good to challenge myself with new endeavors in order to prevent becoming an old codger and to reboot the few brain cells I have left.

I gave about a one hour talk on how our company has managed to beat the odds and has grown from one moron (me) to about 10 inspectors in a major market area and how we did it without currying favor from agents and without marketing to them.

During my speech I talked just a bit about risk management and about a certain attorney (let's call him Moe Larry) who, for a monthly fee, will write hard-hitting letters to clients who are trying to extract money from the poor beleaguered home inspectors in the field. I said in so many words that it was a worthwhile service but, since we have 10 inspectors ($500 per month for the service), since we already have E and O, and since my son-in-law is an attorney, that it's not something we would need right now. I made a point to say though that it is a service that could certainly come in handy when dealing with unreasonable clients.

A couple days later I received a phone call from someone (let's call him Bill Lacki) who said he works with Moe Larry and that he understood me to have made disparaging comments about Moe's services during my talk at the conference. He also said that before he would 'take action' he wanted to get 'clarification' from me about my remarks.

That threat to 'take action' really got my Irish up and I let him have it with both barrels and with absolutely no expletives deleted. I then sent a follow up email to him and to Moe Larry letting them know that I would tell my little 'tempest in a teapot' story to my fellow inspectors and asking them (Moe and Bill) if they wanted to 'clarify' their stance before I did. I have yet to hear from either of these fine counselors.

Well that's all I have, thanks to anyone who reads this for letting me get this off my chest. As a great attorney I know is wont to say, "we deal with facts and we live with truth". I don't take kindly to bullying and threats and I thought it only fair to tell the story as I experienced it directly. I appreciate your kind attention.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Default Re: Threats and the Truth

Did you say it was a "service" or a "disservice"?

At $500 per month it sounds more like a modern day version of the protection racket.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Some attorneys act like the play ground bully. Stand up to them and most will wither, but a few try to prove they are the bully.

For better or worse, I would've reacted the same as you. It's legal to insult someone and even say disparaging things about them as long as you are voicing opinion or speaking truth.

Chances are you'll never hear from the jerk again.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

During my speech I talked just a bit about risk management and about a certain attorney (let's call him Moe Larry) who, for a monthly fee, will write hard-hitting letters to clients who are trying to extract money from the poor beleaguered home inspectors in the field. I said in so many words that it was a worthwhile service but, since we have 10 inspectors ($500 per month for the service), since we already have E and O, and since my son-in-law is an attorney, that it's not something we would need right now. I made a point to say though that it is a service that could certainly come in handy when dealing with unreasonable clients.
    Per chance did anyone record the seminar?

I would not put to much faith in a telephone call threatening to sue you. I think you need to ask the caller to clarify what you allegedly said and not the other way around seeking clarification from you. Any good lawyer will send a registered letter out, not call since a phone call is verbal and can be denied by either party the conversation took place.

The law doesn't protect people from a personal insult or a remark that injures only your pride. It protects reputation, not feelings.

I might be inclined to report the reprobates to their state bar association for conduct unbecoming.

Dan, Are you surprised? Apparently what they did to you is what they do for a living-i.e. threaten people.

I have been threatened by attorneys before. I never heard from any of them after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    At $500 per month it sounds more like a modern day version of the protection racket.
    If its the service I think is being described, its $500 per year.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    If its the service I think is being described, its $500 per year.

Dom.

We have 10 inspectors and I understand the service to be $50/month. Ergo....$6000/year

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Attorneys typically do not telegraph a punch. If they are considering taking action you will not know it until they do.

Attorneys that call to bitch are just fishing, or bitching. Just like other people.

The threat of a suit almost never ends in a suit.

PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

http://jeffghooper.com/

So Sue Me. Sounds like a good name for a Japanese Restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Per chance did anyone record the seminar?
    I too would appreciate hearing your presentation, if a recording exists

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections