Default Urine Stains on Posts OR?...?

P4079793.JPG

About half the posts in this crawl had this staining at their bases. This looks like urine stains/crystals to me, and I almost passed it off as such, but the bigger picture in this crawl has turned it into a bit of a mystery for me.

I didn't see how an animal that big could have been getting into the crawl, so I'm wondering if this is something else, like some kind of pesticide treatment? Anybody have any ideas?

The vents were all screened and there was no other evidence of animals.
    If it is animal urine, I'm thinking it must have occurred during construction. The vapor barrier appeared to have been opened up to the rain during construction, so maybe this is also due to exposure to the weather?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Urine Stains on Posts OR?...?

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Da View Post
    P4079793.JPG

About half the posts in this crawl had this staining at their bases. This looks like urine stains/crystals to me, and I almost passed it off as such, but the bigger picture in this crawl has turned it into a bit of a mystery for me.

I didn't see how an animal that big could have been getting into the crawl, so I'm wondering if this is something else, like some kind of pesticide treatment? Anybody have any ideas?

The vents were all screened and there was no other evidence of animals.
    If it is animal urine, I'm thinking it must have occurred during construction. The vapor barrier appeared to have been opened up to the rain during construction, so maybe this is also due to exposure to the weather?
    Looks like wicking of moisture. A lot of questions here: 1) how old is the house? 2) what are the post supporting? 3) are the post in direct contact with the soil? 4) are they pressure treated wood? 5) is there any type of footing? I'll think of more but this is a good start.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Looks like wicking. Wicked moisture can migrate salts and minerals to the surface.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Yes, it is just moisture from the ground. The ground is damp. Not from rain during construction. It is from poor drainage around the exterior, poor perimeter drains, poor grading, downspouts dumping water around the foundation or all of those.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Da View Post
    P4079793.JPG

This looks like urine stains/crystals to me,

I didn't see how an animal that big could have been getting into the crawl,

so I'm wondering Anybody have any ideas?

T
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Yes, it is .
    So how was it in Portland?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

House built in 2002. Typical post and beam floor structure. Not pressure treated. Posts are high on piers that are covered with the vapor barrier and roofing shingles.

So, can't be wicking from the ground. But rain may have been caught on the shingles and wicked during construction. If so, thems were mighty salty lumber!

I really doubt it's animal urine. Canines (dogs, foxes) are really the only suburban animals that lift their legs and pee against posts. Other wIld animals (squirrels, skunk, raccoons, badgers, etc) for the most part, just squat and pee or spray wherever they have a need...Unlike dogs, posts don't factor into their physiology for marking territory. Unless, of course a canine has been getting in there.

I've started providing NPMA-33 pest reports and my main concern around the stains is whether it's some form of pest treatment that I haven't heard about.
    If it is, I need to report it on the pest form.

Since nobody here thinks that it could be pest treatment, I think I can rule that out.
    Thanks, Tan

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    So how was it in Portland?
    Portland was great but I got sore knees from lifting my leg in all those crawlspaces.

Sorry, Tan, we was just funnin'. I don't have a clue if the stains are not from moisture in the crawl. Maybe there is a spray like you say that leaves that residue.

Last edited by John Kogel; 04-13-2015 at 09:57 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

A blacklight would tell you if its urine.