Thread: AHIT or ICA

Default AHIT or ICA

I plan on getting my pre-exam training online. Due to the lack of classes in my area. I also plan to shadow a home inspector during my online training. (If I can find one that is willing... I may have to pay) I see lots of benefit in hands on training. Here is the question.

Does anyone know or have experience with the following training programs?
    One is double the price but both seem comparative...

AHIT (American Home Inspection Training Institute) Online Home Inspector Certification Course - AHIT

and

ICA (Inspection Certification Associates) Home Inspection Training - Home Inspection Training & Certification Online

I have talked with some Realtors and local home inspectors and they say that the market is not over saturated. This will be a part time job for me as I enjoy my full time work but would like to add extra income to my family. I also think I will enjoy home inspecting.

Thank for any help and advice you might offer.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: AHIT or ICA

Due to the lack of classes in my area.
    You are in Mississippi. The approved courses are online How to Become a Certified Home Inspector in Mississippi - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Schwegel View Post
    I plan on getting my pre-exam training online. Due to the lack of classes in my area. I also plan to shadow a home inspector during my online training. (If I can find one that is willing... I may have to pay) I see lots of benefit in hands on training. Here is the question.

Does anyone know or have experience with the following training programs?
    One is double the price but both seem comparative...

AHIT (American Home Inspection Training Institute) Online Home Inspector Certification Course - AHIT

and

ICA (Inspection Certification Associates) Home Inspection Training - Home Inspection Training & Certification Online

I have talked with some Realtors and local home inspectors and they say that the market is not over saturated. This will be a part time job for me as I enjoy my full time work but would like to add extra income to my family. I also think I will enjoy home inspecting.

Thank for any help and advice you might offer.
    Have you looked at the expense in just doing inspections part-time? MS has mandated E&O and GL insurance… This alone for a new inspector can be kind of expensive. You might want to check on what it will cost if you have not already done so.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Have you looked at the expense in just doing inspections part-time? MS has mandated E&O and GL insurance… This alone for a new inspector can be kind of expensive. You might want to check on what it will cost if you have not already done so.
    Yes, I have checked on the cost of operation. This will just require some planning on my part. Im ok with taking the risk.

I have read lots of posts on this forum and knew this question would cause people to warn be about the business. Thanks for your concerns.

Has anyone taken online classes for training? I want the best for my money and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Schwegel View Post
    Yes, I have checked on the cost of operation. This will just require some planning on my part. Im ok with taking the risk.

I have read lots of posts on this forum and knew this question would cause people to warn be about the business. Thanks for your concerns.

Has anyone taken online classes for training? I want the best for my money and time.
    Hi Jacob! I just posted this same question as i"m a newbie . SO... I'm really curious ,if you ever got advise on these same two schools (ICA vs AHIT) i am looking at as well. Or if you deciced a different rout better? Thanks!

I took the AHIT class in 2007 and was totally satisfied with it. I also use InspectIt from AHIT and it is so easy and user friendly. I can modify it any way I want and make it work for me! I will say you will only get out of any class what you are willing to put in to it.

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    I know that I should ignore this from .... (what's her name), but it is quite well stated and surprised me that she/they would post it, and, as always, this is just my opinion ... okay maybe the opinion is similar to the opinions of others, so while it is "just my opinion", I'm not claiming a copyright or trademark on it*:

"3. Does the website have a .edu suffix?
    All real schools have a domain that ends in .edu. A few scam schools managed to sneak in, ... "

*if it's 'copyrightsble' and I have created it, then I guess I am protecting it by copyrighting it ... Copyright Jerry Peck 2019 ... but if it's not copyrightable ... no biggie as no one else can copyright it either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_test

The duck test is a form of abductive reasoning. This is its usual expression:

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Least we forget the Elephant Test.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Both AHIT and ICA will give you the education to succeed. I took the AHIT course years ago and passed the National Home Inspectors Exam on the first attempt. You can't go wrong by passing the NHIE since it is a comprehensive exam and will ensure you have the proper foundation for a successful career as an inspector.