Default One of those days

Ever have one of those days where you cannot figure out if you are brain dead or just incredibly creative?

After sending out a large report on a 12,770 square foot house to the clients and attorney I for some reason revisited the report to find that I created a new construction term. The word is "gitters"

I used it like this;

The perimeter gitters are to small and do not have the proper profile for the tile roof system. These gitters would be fine on a shingle roof; however, due to the small profile the direct rain water runoff from the pans of the tile simply pours over the gitters. The gitters are also installed to low. Extensive erosion and washouts were found at the perimeter grade. ........

I guess I thought them there gitters was a gonna git dem der raindrops and catch um!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

http://jeffghooper.com/

Default Re: One of those days

All that gitters is not gold!

My software started auto correcting "Trane" to "Trance", so a few of my clients had Trance HVAC units.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    All that gitters is not gold!

My software started auto correcting "Trane" to "Trance", so a few of my clients had Trance HVAC units.
    So Jack, what is the SEER of a Trance? Actually yours might work. Get them in a trance and convince them they are cool or hot.

PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

11 Proofreading Tips to Help You Write with Confidence - Jimdo Blog

3. Look at your piece with fresh eyes

Because you’re trying to trick your brain into reading something like it’s unfamiliar, give yourself some time away from it. “Don’t proofread something just after writing it,” says Stan Carey. “Take a break from it, the longer the better, to create the distance necessary to spot mistakes.” Come back in an hour, or ideally the next day.

You are not alone, welcome to 'i' strain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    Reason you also should not do a report on site if you are indeed a one man show. Same goes for looking back on all the pictures you took. You just might be surprised at the results.
    No worries there. I generally give myself a week or more for the reports. Generally hundreds of pages including all code cites. Cannot use anyone's software for what I do. Very specialized and very specific. Then I would just be like everyone else, and have to take a huge pay cut.

When you get thousands a report, you cannot be "off the shelf".

I just thought it was funny how I put that "gitter" in there. Kind of like about 20 years ago when I did not catch that I had wrote that the water heater was f$%^&@. Attorney calls to say report looks good, then asks if I want to change the wording about the water heater. Told him that pretty much summed it up.

Not a chance that we could do that here Jeff.
    I know. To bad you cannot give your clients what your clients want, and are willing to pay for. We are lucky that way. Market driven. We have a lot of inspectors, (read crybabies), who do cry foul when they see someone like Jerry's or my reports. Which is comical as they explain that we are not required to do that, but then nothing prevents us from going the extra, FOR THE EXTRA of course.

Was paid $4,500.00 for this inspection. And now it has "Gitters" all around dat roooooof.

jeff you are sounding like a pompous ass--just go pound your own back quietly--you would never get a job here in Colorado--NEVER

CVF

Jeff,

You are also using the wrong "to". Should be "too".

To, Too, Two - The Easiest Way To Learn How To Use These Words

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I liked the new word and its description/definition.

"Gutters" - Troughs which are sized and installed around the drip edge of a roof in such a size and location so as to catch rain, leaves, pine needles, and other objects. "Gutters" require periodic maintenance due to becoming clogged from catching all that rain, leaves, pine needles, etc.

"Gitters" - Troughs which are sized and installed around the drip edge of a roof in such a size and location so as to not catch rain, leaves, pine needles, or other objects. "Gitters" do not require periodic maintenance due tot he fact that they are too small and installed so low ... dat der ain't no w'y fo' dem dang things ta git a'y waatur, ain't gonna git no leeves, nor git no nuttin' else neither.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    jeff you are sounding like a pompous ass--just go pound your own back quietly--you would never get a job here in Colorado--NEVER

CVF
    Charlie ... same can be said for you ... you would never get a job like Jeff does down there in South Florida--NEVER

We had, still have, inspectors "down there" (from my perspective from being "up here" in Ormond Beach - but still in Florida) who say the same thing you say, and have your same attitude, and you now what? Those inspectors are absolutely right! THEY will never get inspections like that either.

Charlie, I know that market - been there, done that, and it is good - before I retired I was "down there" in the same market Jeff is still in. That market is OBVIOUSLY NOT FOR YOU, so why are YOU so up tight about it? OH, WAIT, NOW I GET IT ... BECAUSE YOU CAN'T DO IT.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

CVF
    The thread is about a new word. Sorry you are stuck where you are and charging what you do. Not my fault, that is something you can change if you want. No need to be an A$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Jeff,

You are also using the wrong "to". Should be "too".

To, Too, Two - The Easiest Way To Learn How To Use These Words
    I do that on message boards. Try not to in reports. Definitely one of my flaws. Thanks Gunnar, I will try harder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I liked the new word and its description/definition.

"Gutters" - Troughs which are sized and installed around the drip edge of a roof in such a size and location so as to catch rain, leaves, pine needles, and other objects. "Gutters" require periodic maintenance due to becoming clogged from catching all that rain, leaves, pine needles, etc.

"Gitters" - Troughs which are sized and installed around the drip edge of a roof in such a size and location so as to not catch rain, leaves, pine needles, or other objects. "Gitters" do not require periodic maintenance due tot he fact that they are too small and installed so low ... dat der ain't no w'y fo' dem dang things ta git a'y waatur, ain't gonna git no leeves, nor git no nuttin' else neither.
    Cracking me up Jerry.

JeffGHooper I went to your Linkedin profile. You most certainly have my respect sir.
    Just comes with time. Jerry's makes mine look like a one liner, but thanks.

JERRY

there is no such inspector here in Colorado that who could charge that amount-and stay in business---we are HI and do not do code inspections. there is no client that would pay that amount here--you are old school and maybe you made that then-I have talked to inspectors in florida and they compare with my prices

jeff

if your post was about a word why mention how great you are and how much you made-that is being pompous--

JERRY

there is no such inspector here in Colorado that who could charge that amount-and stay in business---we are HI and do not do code inspections. there is no client that would pay that amount here--you are old school and maybe you made that then-I have talked to inspectors in florida and they compare with my prices

jeff

if your post was about a word why mention how great you are and how much you made-that is being pompous--
    Charlie, you are correct, there are hundreds of inspectors here that only make $190.00 per inspection. That is not my fault, that is theirs. None of them want to go the extra mile or lift a single finger to set themselves apart, or learn something new. They just want to do the least amount possible, and they get paid accordingly, the least amount possible.

I have helped inspectors in Florida and the Nation achieve more. I will make you a deal. I will review your report and practices, on the QT, so no one knows. Just email me a report. I will review it and make suggestions on what you can do to improve and make more money. Jerry is in no way old school. We never sit on the old and we continue to grow and make the profession bigger and better. Old school is set in their ways, which we are not.

One of your comments is old school. The Code comment. I worked in Denver in 1986 thru 1988 and lived in Northglenn. I do know your area. Should you accept this offer and before you do, you should read this. It should dispel the myth of citing code. It is all up to you man. I am here to help, it is what I do.

Home Inspectors Citing Building Codes

Choice is yours.

Oh, and it will not cost you a dime!!

Oh, and Charlie, not really sure reading back where I stated how "great I was."

It is supposed to be funny and poking fun of a mistake I made and how stupid it was. especially for the price, which was not much for a 12,770 square foot house.

I think I eluded to that also J.H. My full package would get some attention not needed right now.
    Understood! Fully!

Jeff

again you come on as being above me. and want to help me. I don't need your help and to imply I make $199 an inspection is insulting and degrading. show me a $2000 inspection you did in Northglen Co--you know my area as you say -very few million dollar homes here and average sq ft is 3000--I charge more then most inspectors in Colorado and I'm happy with my services, so please for your client sake and what you charge call a gutter a gutter and proof read your report or get spell check

cvf

Jeff

again you come on as being above me. and want to help me. I don't need your help and to imply I make $199 an inspection is insulting and degrading. show me a $2000 inspection you did in Northglen Co--you know my area as you say -very few million dollar homes here and average sq ft is 3000--I charge more then most inspectors in Colorado and I'm happy with my services, so please for your client sake and what you charge call a gutter a gutter and proof read your report or get spell check

cvf
    Well he told me! LOL

Then be happy and ignore even the slightest inclination that someone may actually want to help you. After all, you already know everything don't you? Well, I do not, and am the first to acknowledge it. Take more continuing education a year than most.

Cherry Hills, Elizabeth, foothills of Boulder, Winter Park, all over 1,000 per inspection, just to name a few. You know the neighborhoods.

You sir certainly have a chip on your shoulder. Does not bother me. The offer stands.

Charlie, do not take my word for anything. Given your Association I assume you know Claude McGavic, Executive Director, National Association of Home Inspectors (NAHI) a personal friend of mine.

Give him a jingle.

come on jeff I do inspections in those hoods but its not everyday--maybe 7 a year and get paid what you do-and deliver report same day with proper spelling -but a condo for $1750--I think that is what you boasted--and please read your above posts on how great you are and how much you make--thread was about misspelling a word not how great your reports are and delivered a week later--sorry you don't see that. done her

come on jeff I do inspections in those hoods but its not everyday--maybe 7 a year and get paid what you do-and deliver report same day with proper spelling -but a condo for $1750--I think that is what you boasted--and please read your above posts on how great you are and how much you make--thread was about misspelling a word not how great your reports are and delivered a week later--sorry you don't see that. done her
    So now you seem to think you know why I posted this thread. Do you have mind reader included in your services?

It was about a mistake I made. One that I found funny, as did some others. that is why I chose to share it. It was made funnier by the fact it was high end. I was making fun of myself. It is what is called being "humble". There were no personal attacks on anyone, that is until you came in. Just clean fun not directed at anyone other than my failure to proof read the report.

Do you get off on causing trouble? Find it fun? I already acknowledged my mistake in spelling. But you cannot let it go.

How about I go back to my code books and being a better inspector and you go back to the Gym. You see, I will not rest at the level I am at, because I can become better. That should really piss you off.

I think the author is not entirely correct and would dispute some of her comments comparing home inspectors and code authorities.

While she does make some very good points, in my view she reaches too far in trying to establish how similar the definitions are between code inspection and home inspection.

The AHJ is inspecting for the protection of the community and bears virtually no liability to the individual, whereas the Home Inspector is there to protect his client and owes virtually nothing to the community at large.
    Jerry already demonstrated a case where the AHJ was found to be negligent to an individual. A home inspector DOES NOT owe anything to the community as he is retained by contract to report to his client. The code inspector on the other hand does owe a duty to the community (public) as he is given that authority by statute. Big difference which I feel she continually overlooks.

Unpublished cases, especially those untested or not appealed are irrelevant and have no basis.
    BUNK!

I have NEVER heard an Inspector state; “I got sued and lost because I did too much”, “I took photos”, “I reported all the details”, “ I cited Code”, I used the word Safety”, “I exceeded the minimum.” Every single case I have been involved in was due to what the Inspector DID NOT DO. I have yet to see a tested, reviewed, published case that actually provides a basis for a “less is more” precedent.
    The reverse is also true, and I do not know of any cases where an inspector who did not site code or do a code inspection was sued for not quoting code.

As far as my own opinion I do not quote code in my inspection report unless I have been specifically hired to do a report for litigation purposes wherein the builder has come up short.

Maybe the "gitter" will erode the soil around the "footer"....

(Time to have someone in the office do a quick proof-read before sending, we all become myopic to our spelling mistakes after typing the same thing over and over.)

Dom.

Gitters-Gutters, what's a vowel among friends?

Kinda reminds me.....I rarely type text messages on my phone. I dictate them to the phone. In a text exchange with a female agent and friend, I dictated something like "September third works for me" and SIRI transcribed "Sex tonight works for me". Luckily, I proofed it before sending.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Gitters-Gutters, what's a vowel among friends?

Kinda reminds me.....I rarely type text messages on my phone. I dictate them to the phone. In a text exchange with a female agent and friend, I dictated something like "September third works for me" and SIRI transcribed "Sex tonight works for me". Luckily, I proofed it before sending.
    Now that cracks me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I think the author is not entirely correct and would dispute some of her comments comparing home inspectors and code authorities.

While she does make some very good points, in my view she reaches too far in trying to establish how similar the definitions are between code inspection and home inspection.

Jerry already demonstrated a case where the AHJ was found to be negligent to an individual. A home inspector DOES NOT owe anything to the community as he is retained by contract to report to his client. The code inspector on the other hand does owe a duty to the community (public) as he is given that authority by statute. Big difference which I feel she continually overlooks.

BUNK!

The reverse is also true, and I do not know of any cases where an inspector who did not site code or do a code inspection was sued for not quoting code.

As far as my own opinion I do not quote code in my inspection report unless I have been specifically hired to do a report for litigation purposes wherein the builder has come up short.
    1. I was the Author. Gail is an Realtor that blogged about it with my document.
    2. The comments about the duty are directly from the Codes.
    3. I have testified in a large number of cases where we proved that the inspector was doing a code inspection by the inclusion of GFCI, wire sizes. railing, and steps. We got them to say on the stand that the source of these requirements were the codes. So then we asked why he was doing a "Selective Code Inspection" of only the items he deemed important and skipping the rest. Once I get them to say the words, "required, safety, damage to property, or health" it is all over but the crying.

You are right, there is no requirement. My point was the old mindset that you cannot is just plain not true. So use it if you feel comfortable. Less is not more, never has been.