dan orourke Guest

Default Doubled keyed door

Last edited by dan orourke; 12-26-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Doubled keyed door

Dan,

While that is not a 'required egress door', in fact, it is not even considered 'an egress door' as one is not allowed to have an egress from the the house to a garage (not one which is counted, let's say it that way), however, with all of that said: If you were near that door and there was a fire in the house area, would you not try to egress through that door and through the garage to get 'outside'?

If your answer is 'Yes.', as mine would be, then *I* would not want to find myself locked in that area because of a double keyed lock.

While I could probably make the code apply there (regarding not having to use keys, etc.), it is much simpler to state it as a 'safety hazard' as it could interfere with saving ones own life should the need arise. No seller or agent can argue their way out of that call.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Doubled keyed door

Quote Originally Posted by dan orourke View Post
    I'm surprised, though, the builder didn't put standard locks in and then tell the clients to retro them in after she takes possession of the house.
    Especially after a fire and both she and her husband die in the fire ... her trying to save him ...

Then the kids come along and say 'Wait a minute, *those double keyed locks* are not supposed to have been installed, and *WE KNOW* our mother did not do it ... so the builder did ... (silence ... as they look in the phone book for the phone number for a local attorney) ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com