Default 12" Metal Supply @ Top of Water Heater

I know this topic has been batted around a few times but I cant seem to find it...

Some say the supply pipes to a water heater must be metal for the first 12 inches at the top of the water heater and then can transition to other approved supply materials. Makes sense with a gas water heater due to the heat of the exhaust. Cant find a code reference specifying this. Can anyone point in the right direction?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Default Re: 12" Metal Supply @ Top of Water Heater

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    I know this topic has been batted around a few times but I cant seem to find it...

Some say the supply pipes to a water heater must be metal for the first 12 inches at the top of the water heater and then can transition to other approved supply materials. Makes sense with a gas water heater due to the heat of the exhaust. Cant find a code reference specifying this. Can anyone point in the right direction?
    See reply on other thread (which is basically duplicating this one, or is this one basically duplicating that one?).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: 12" Metal Supply @ Top of Water Heater

Bruce...

The code reference is that the code requires you to follow manufacturer specifications.
    But it's not a water heater 'thang.'

It's the plastic pipe manufacturers that require their products not be within a minimum 6 - 18 inches (varies by manufacturer) of a heat source (e.g., water heater vent). So OK for electric.

Dave