Default USB to Serial Cable

I bit the bullet and have purchased an HP Elitebook 2560p. I7 proc, 125 SSD and fast enough to leave burnt rubber on my desk top. (Hey I've been living with XP for the last 10 years.) Now the (one of) problems I have is getting my USB to Serial cable to work which I need to down load Sun Nuclear 1027 data. The cable I have is Radio Shack and can't get the drivers to work. With Radio Shack on the ropes I don't think I am going to get much help from them. What is working for others out there?

Thanks
    Vern

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: USB to Serial Cable

I have a USB to Serial, I think I got it at walMart or Best Buy.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I have a USB to Serial, I think I got it at walMart or Best Buy.
    Can you run the Sun program in native mode (Win 7) or do you have to run virtual machine?

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I need it to connect to my alarm panels. I bought 2 or 3 before I found one that works.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

It's hard to believe a peripheral company (Sun, or whomever makes the device) hasn't updated the method of connection since serial ports "left the building" eons ago. Maybe they have a work-around for modern users.

Dom.

Sun Nuclear has to be the most frustrating company to work with on this issue. They just refuse to budge from the last century.
    I found that when I set mine up, I had to select the correct port on the laptop, or it would not work correctly.

I use my iPad for reporting now, so when I have a radon, I have to use my Windows laptop to download the radon test results, save, send to Dropbox, retrieve from Dropbox on the iPad, convert to Pages, then Copy and Paste into the report. While that only takes a minute or so, its a major PIA.

Maybe if more inspectors started complaining to Sun Nuclear, they might consider getting into the modern age?

I bought the one Sun Nuclear recommends. No major problems getting it to work.