Thread: Panel question

Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Panel question

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-19-2007 at 10:48 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Shannon Guinn Guest

Default Re: Panel question

Jeff, IMO the elec. who mounted the panel should have done a little better job, perhaps even used hex tex. Probably won't be a problem but anyone who happens to be working in the panel might rape the skin off the back of their hand!

I'm more interested in what appears to be a crimp on connector on that bare ground down at the lower left corner of the photo.

That screw can easily be cut off - and likely will be cut off by the first electrician who, as Shannon said, scrapes the skin off the back of their hand - followed, of course, by a few choice curse words for whoever left that screw like that.

Also curious as to what that SEC is doing down in the lower left nipple/raceway. Several things going on down there which I cannot tell from that photo, but which look 'not right'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Eastman View Post
    Silly question,

the screw protruding into the panel (lower right) is a problem or not? It's not a point screw.

Wouldn't make my report...

rr

Shannon Guinn Guest

Good eye Jerry, I thought that it was some sort of new 1/4 " sealtight flex that was on the solid #4.

Richard Stanley Guest

Is that copper tubing in there???

I don't know if that is a crimp connector. It looks to me like armor for the GEC.

But, I have been known to be wrong. There was that time back in '72... no, wait. It was '73. Nuts, that makes two now.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dan orourke View Post
    what is wrong with the crimped connector? Why is that not allowed and based on what standard?

Thanks!
    Looks like a crimp connector to me as well. If it is...FLUNK! Ground should be continuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Eastman View Post
    What do you think is wrong with the SEC in the raceway at the lower left of the photo?
    Jeff,

This is what I saw and what triggered my question.
    - SEC has an uninsulated ground and no neutral (the uninsulated ground services as the neutral for service entrance conductors, however, beyond the service disconnect, all neutrals are required to be insulated.

Not knowing what that SEC goes to, and the limitations for SEC use, made me want to check it out. See if any of the following permitted uses apply to that use.

From the NEC
    - ARTICLE 338 Service-Entrance Cable: Types SE and USE
    - - 338.10 Uses Permitted.
    - - - (A) Service-Entrance Conductors. Service-entrance cable used as service-entrance conductors shall be installed as required by Article 230.
    - - - - Type USE used for service laterals shall be permitted to emerge from the ground outside at terminations in meter bases or other enclosures where protected in accordance with 300.5(D).
    - - - (B) Branch Circuits or Feeders.
    - - - - (1) Grounded Conductor Insulated. Type SE service-entrance cables shall be permitted in wiring systems where all of the circuit conductors of the cable are of the rubber-covered or thermoplastic type.
    - - - - (2) Grounded Conductor Not Insulated. Type SE service-entrance cable shall be permitted for use where the insulated conductors are used for circuit wiring and the uninsulated conductor is used only for equipment grounding purposes.
    - - - - - Exception: Uninsulated conductors shall be permitted as a grounded conductor in accordance with 250.140.
    - - - - (3) Temperature Limitations. Type SE service-entrance cable used to supply appliances shall not be subject to conductor temperatures in excess of the temperature specified for the type of insulation involved.
    - - - - (4) Installation Methods for Branch Circuits and Feeders.
    - - - - - (a) Interior Installations. In addition to the provisions of this article, Type SE service-entrance cable used for interior wiring shall comply with the installation requirements of Parts I and II of Article 334, excluding 334.80.
    - - - - - - FPN: See 310.10 for temperature limitation of conductors.
    - - - - - (b) Exterior Installations. In addition to the provisions of this article, service-entrance cable used for feeders or branch circuits, where installed as exterior wiring, shall be installed as required by Article 225. The cable shall be supported in accordance with 334.30, unless used as messenger-supported wiring as allowed by Article 396.
    - - - Type USE cable shall be installed outside in accordance with the provisions of Article 340. Type USE shall be permitted to be terminated in enclosures at an indoor location where Type USE cable emerges from the ground. The length of the cable extending indoors to the first termination box shall not exceed 1.8 m (6 ft). Where Type USE cable emerges from the ground at terminations, it shall be protected in accordance with 300.5(D). Multiconductor service-entrance cable shall be permitted to be installed as messenger-supported wiring in accordance with Articles 225 and 396.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com