Default Double meter box on Condo - condition and responsibility for repair?

twometer.jpgmeter two.jpg

I have a question on condition and responsibility for a double meter box serving a condo unit. First of all the box is obviously getting water intrusion due to failed/broken main switch weatherproof (not any more) covers. Would this panel be replaced or just the breaker covers at this point of deterioration? Where is the responsibility - condo/homeowners shared or utility company? This unit is near the front door of the unit I inspected last night.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Double meter box on Condo - condition and responsibility for repair?

Start with the utility that services this location for a true answer - you didn't really give much to go on.

Chances are it will be the condo association that will end up being responsible or both unit owners - depending on the size of the condo association (it might be less expensive if they have more units that need replacement also it depends on the what is listed in the condo association

Default Re: Double meter box on Condo - condition and responsibility for repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Doane View Post
    Start with the utility that services this location for a true answer - you didn't really give much to go on.

Chances are it will be the condo association that will end up being responsible or both unit owners - depending on the size of the condo association (it might be less expensive if they have more units that need replacement also it depends on the what is listed in the condo association
    Thanks Dwight. Just figured I would check in case there was a known answer due to multiple metered box or the fact it is a clustered condo shared panel , etc.

In most places ... the service equipment will be owned by the building owner, i.e., the condo association.

The utilities typically only take responsibility (and ownership) of the service lateral conductors (service entrance conductors) from the transformer to the service equipment.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com