Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Closet, Myth or not

Wow........ so does a closet make it a bedroom, and is a closet required in a bedroom??? Please don't answer.

FYI: Quincy fire victims died in illegal apartment - BostonHerald.com

Crawl Space Creeper

Michael Schirmer Guest

It is all general guidelines in real estate definitions only. No codes.
    In the 19th century there were no closets. We used wardrobes as part of our furnishings. Code-wise, needs a door and a qualifying window. Put your nap-mat anywhere you wish and have a good snooze.

Bob, welcome to the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phoenix View Post
    Oh, right the definition...

Don't forget that we here in go ol' FLA have the benefit of our own adoption of the ICC model code... the Florida Building Code...
    Also ... ... don't forget the question started from a person NOT in Florida.

[quote]But, in the begining of the definitions section, the code specifies... "Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged" as the reference for words not defined in the code...[/qutoe]

Not in the IBC or the IRC, and not outside Florida - as the original poster is outside Florida, that dictionary does not take precedence, the code language does, which I posted yesterday, and is posted again here:
    - From the IBC (which the IRC refers back to), (underlining and bold are mine)
    - - 201.4 Terms not defined. Where terms are not defined through the methods authorized by this section, such terms shall have ordinarily accepted meanings such as the context implies.

Oh yeah... that day bed...?!? Be careful... You could be treading on "Board and Care" occupancy there... Of course, depending on what you get for "personal care..."
    'Nuf said...
    I think someone's mind was not quite in the direction in which I was intending to direct it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I have heard that a bedroom is REQUIRED to have a closet, however I can not find a requirement in the 2006 IRC. Can someone confirm or deni if a required to have a bedroom closet exist?
    The International Residential Code has been adopted by 50 states. Nowhere in the IRC does it mention a closet as a requirement for a bedroom. Individual towns may require a bedroom on there own.

First and foremost the IRC is concerned about safety and not practicality. While today's buyers want closets in a bedroom it is a matter of practicality not safety.

Also, somone mentioned HUD required a closet in a bedroom. If that was the case, FHA would not lend on a home with a bedroom with no closets. Here in New England we have plenty of older homes with no closets that would not allow FHA buyers to buy. That is certainly not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Vitali View Post
    Also, somone mentioned HUD required a closet in a bedroom. If that was the case, FHA would not lend on a home with a bedroom with no closets. Here in New England we have plenty of older homes with no closets that would not allow FHA buyers to buy. That is certainly not the case.
    It very well could be the case.

Remember: "FHA" does not inspect the homes; "FHA" does not review the floor plans.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12