cory nystul Guest

Default Faucet next to gas vent, CLEARANCE???

DSCN8624.jpg
    Does anybody know is there any kind of codes/ regs about clearance between the gas vent and the faucet.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Faucet next to gas vent, CLEARANCE???

The only code I can think of which prevents that is the code of "common sense" ... which was obviously violated with that install.

At least they have the "common sense" to not keep the hose attached to that hose bibb.

What type of gas appliance is that vent connected to? A fireplace or a heater? If so, it likely will not be used at the same time that the exterior hose bibb will be used. (That does not affect the lack of "common sense".)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I don't see a problem. The exhaust vents out the top, fresh air intake on sides.

Like Jerry says though common sense doesn't always enter into equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    The exhaust vents out the top, fresh air intake on sides.
    Raymond,

I thought the exhaust vents out both the top and the bottom?

I don't see any direct vent appliances, but that was my presumption based on the photos and heat distortion/staining from those types of vent caps.

Thanks for that clarification of what I presumed I was seeing.

Either way, that cap gets HOT (don't they? all the photos of them show "HOT" on them - as that one does ) ... and that heat cannot be good for any sealing washers in that hose bibb or plastic piping which may be connected to it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    This particular model only exhausts out the top. If you look close you will see the arrow.
    So the HOT with the arrow pointing up does not mean the metal cap is HOT, only that the discharge air is HOT?

Wouldn't the HOT discharge air heat the thin sheet metal cap up too?

Or, is the arrow just pointing to indicate 'this side up'? You know, for those lacking common sense and those who don't read the installation instructions.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Looks like the handle got pretty warm somewhere along the line.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Cool combustion air is pulled in along hot side surface. Naturally hot air wants to move upwards since its not likely a powered exhaust. I don't ever recall feeling hot combustion air coming out of the bottom, could be wrong.

Here is an gas fireplace exhaust taken this winter, similar exhaust hood. Note where the condensation from exhaust has frozen.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Here is an gas fireplace exhaust taken this winter, similar exhaust hood. Note where the condensation from exhaust has frozen.
    Yeah, but ... look at the snow on the ground directly below that exhaust ... from hot exhaust air?

I am just curious as I have no intention of moving to where I need to learn about those things and that white fluffy stuff (snow).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    That is what we call liguid snow or better known in warm areas as condensation ...
    Oh ... like our liquid sunshine ... in other areas it is better known as rain ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The vent looks like the ones I see for gas log fireplaces. While they do get hot, the sides are not as hot as the top. I don't really see a problem with that installation. I doubt the exhaust would affect the faucet even with the fireplace going for a while.

Honestly, I have never seen a faucet installed like that. I have also not noticed the chimney being that hot, however, I typically don't run the gas fireplace for long periods of time.
    I suppose that if the faucet handle is melted, then it must be too close.

Cool Re: Faucet next to gas vent, CLEARANCE???

The termination in the OP is a Hearth & Home Technologies product for their Heat&Glo, Heatilator or Quadrafire brand gas direct vent fireplaces. The exhaust is at the outer end of the termination. If you look down you would see it open to the ground with the exhaust entering from the side. As the heat rises by natural convection out the top screened area, cool air is drawn in below creating a chimney effect. The sidewall clearances to combustibles is not much but perhaps 9-12". The heat signature is a a funnel up from that screened area and not laterally. Still, weird winds could cause the heat to migrate laterally or even downwards so you never know. Get the listed installation manual from the fireplace and it will delineate the clearances to combustibles.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

At my inspection today I let the gas logs run for quite a while, and went outside to see how much heat was coming off the side. Almost all of the heat was going UP, and not a whole lot was off to the side. The actual flue is a few inches from the sides of the enclosure. Maybe this particular one had an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

At my inspection today I let the gas logs run for quite a while, and went outside to see how much heat was coming off the side. Almost all of the heat was going UP, and not a whole lot was off to the side. The actual flue is a few inches from the sides of the enclosure. Maybe this particular one had an issue.