Default Basement crack from top to bottom

I live in a 12 year house in Philly suburbs. Just couple of months ago I noticed this thin crack on my basement wall going from the top to the bottom. There is also a small mud stain towards the bottom, but I never really had any water issues. I know there are ways to fix this, but what is the best way for me to understand what went wrong and fix the underlying issue?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Basement crack from top to bottom

Please start by clarifying the wall materials. Is it poured concrete?

I am sorry, yes it is poured concrete.

That appears to be the seam or joint in the forms you are looking at after they were removed. Is there any movement, "in or out from top to bottom?". If not there may be a cold joint there, but there should not be. If there is no movement I would not be concerned, other than water entry.

PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

http://jeffghooper.com/

The crack is next to the form joint.

Nothing necessarily went wrong. Concrete cracks as it cures. Almost all poured concrete foundation walls have some cracks. They typically extend from the top of the wall to the bottom. Almost always the cracks are wider at the top and decrease in width towards the bottom.

There is also a small mud stain towards the bottom
    Soil does not move inward without water carrying it in. At some point it has leaked.

Poly urethane injection is a repair method from inside, alternatively excavation of the exterior.

Improve grading if require outside, you want positive soil slope away from foundation, and check your gutters for clogs, sometimes water from gutters can overspill leading to leakage.

If it doesn't leak - leave it alone - you might make it leak (no really the wrong material could make it crack more)

So excuse me for asking , is that a an electrical cord or hose that is zip tied to the water heater pipe ? (in General not a good idea)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Doane View Post
    If it doesn't leak - leave it alone - you might make it leak (no really the wrong material could make it crack more)

So excuse me for asking , is that a an electrical cord or hose that is zip tied to the water heater pipe ? (in General not a good idea)
    Appears to be the gas line. CSST

PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

http://jeffghooper.com/

Taking another look at the picture, that is a copper (stranded) bonding jumper cable on the cold water line with the other end clamped at furnace/ CSST?

At first it looked like a saddle valve and copper water line.

As Mark stated all foundations will crack, typically due to shrinkage. Windows, doors and beam pockets in a concrete foundation wall, as in your case, will cause stresses to concentrate at the hole or cutout in the concrete wall. Your crack looks typical and I would not worry about it unless the cracks gets wider or water leakage gets to be a problem.

Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com