Thread: Joist blocking

Bob Fuhrmann Guest

Default Joist blocking

Can anyone tell me why the builder installs blocking between engineered joists at the outside edge of the house? Joists are between the first floor and the basement. The reason I ask is that one of the joists was installed not parallel to the next one and the blocking is not connected at one end. I expect that the blocking is pre cut and the building crew didn't care.

IMG_0083.JPGIMG_0085.JPG

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Bob Fuhrmann; 05-04-2015 at 02:21 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Joist blocking

Bob,

Blocking helps distribute load to adjacent joists. Was there some type of unusual load above, big hydro-tub, etc.?

Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com

The backer block is absent where the I-joist is perpendicular to the other. The back block is required on both sides so that a metal hanger can be installed. Framers have not completed what the manufacturer requires in their framing detail material.

Attached Files Attached Files

Bob Fuhrmann Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Mayo View Post
    Bob,

Blocking helps distribute load to adjacent joists. Was there some type of unusual load above, big hydro-tub, etc.?
    None that I am aware of Randy. The blocking is the entire length of the basement on both sides of the home. Blocking was between the outside wall and the first joist and between the first and second joist. You did not comment on the issue of the blocking not contacting the joist on four blocks near the end of one joist.
    Bob

If the foundation is the Superior wall system, then blocking along the wall that's parallel with the joists is a requirement to prevent the top of the wall from being pushed in.

Superiorwalls.pdf

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fuhrmann View Post
    Can anyone tell me why the builder installs blocking between engineered joists at the outside edge of the house? Joists are between the first floor and the basement. The reason I ask is that one of the joists was installed not parallel to the next one and the blocking is not connected at one end. I expect that the blocking is pre cut and the building crew didn't care.
    A few months ago, at a new build, the job super just shrugged when I asked him about this blocking and said that the AHJ now required it. After reading the Installation Guide from Raymond, there is a WHOLE lot more to how it's done than just toe nailing in the braces.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    If the foundation is the Superior wall system, then blocking along the wall that's parallel with the joists is a requirement to prevent the top of the wall from being pushed in.

Superiorwalls.pdf
    liked

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    A few months ago, at a new build, the job super just shrugged when I asked him about this blocking and said that the AHJ now required it.
    Our AHJs reference Section R404.1, 2012 IRC. FOUNDATION WALL BRACING regarding the need for bracing perpendicular to the joists on the exterior walls. If "I Joists" are used then the builder is required to install blocking (permanufacturer’s instructions) against thewebs of the “I” joists for properattachment of the foundation wallbracing blocks. Around here, omitting the bracing and/or not detailing them it correctly was a pretty common reason to fail framing inspections when the requirement first appeared.

-Sam

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    A few months ago, at a new build, the job super just shrugged when I asked him about this blocking and said that the AHJ now required it.
    Our AHJs reference Section R404.1, 2012 IRC. FOUNDATION WALL BRACING regarding the need for bracing perpendicular to the joists on the exterior walls. If "I Joists" are used then the builder is required to install blocking (permanufacturer’s instructions) against thewebs of the “I” joists for properattachment of the foundation wallbracing blocks. Around here, omitting the bracing and/or not detailing them it correctly was a pretty common reason to fail framing inspections when the requirement first appeared.

-Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fuhrmann View Post

IMG_0083.JPGIMG_0085.JPG
    Blocking between the first two joist spaces is required to meet local wind zone requirements. Spacing varies according to the wind zone. They should be attached at the ends and nailed through the plywood at the top.

Bob Fuhrmann Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    liked
    Basement walls are not "Superior Wall System". They are standard poured concrete.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post

Superiorwalls.pdf
    Foundation is not the Superior wall system.