Thread: Envelope House

Default Envelope House

I have been asked to inspect an envelope house. Last one I saw was 40 years ago. Does anyone have any suggestions as to anything I should look for that I would not see in an ordinary house?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Envelope House

Single or double envelope design makes a bit of a difference in structural design. Then there is the question of efficiency of design. Air quality. Are you testing for air tightness/seal? Passive and active air exchange design and equipment? Methods to control humidity within the structure. Areas that will collect condensation good and bad including design to deal with that condensation.

Kinda depends how deep into design/function you are looking at.

As Gary stated your question is too broad...

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Why not Google it?

Lee Porter Butler

The 60's, man.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Why not Google it?

Lee Porter Butler

The 60's, man.

I think Roger was looking for a check list of items to look for that are specific to this type of home design. Being a design that is kinda rare. The real issue is in how deep into the design concept/function that you would be looking at. Standard SOP of inspection or opinion on design function or issues that may be occurring. The houses are built to code so that is not where the atypical part of the inspection would start.

The construction materials are basically common off the self items. With the exception of solar hot water collectors. It is how they are used that puts the real twist into the equation. Walls are walls, electric is electric, plumbing is plumbing and foundation is foundation, so cracks are cracks and leaks are leaks.

Roger,
    if you are still on the fence rail over what to look at, just make it a thorough in-depth inspection beyond what your off the shelf inspect program may have you commenting on .

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    I think Roger was looking for a check list of items to look for that are specific to this type of home design. Being a design that is kinda rare. The real issue is in how deep into the design concept/function that you would be looking at. Standard SOP of inspection or opinion on design function or issues that may be occurring. The houses are built to code so that is not where the atypical part of the inspection would start.

The construction materials are basically common off the self items. With the exception of solar hot water collectors. It is how they are used that puts the real twist into the equation. Walls are walls, electric is electric, plumbing is plumbing and foundation is foundation, so cracks are cracks and leaks are leaks.

Roger,
    if you are still on the fence rail over what to look at, just make it a thorough in-depth inspection beyond what your off the shelf inspect program may have you commenting on .
    Garry, thank you for the helpful response. I had done some research and decided what you have said is basically the case. I inspected the house this morning. It is pretty normal and looks solidly built. The owners did a couple of things (add an Attic fan and a duct from a through-wall AC unit to the attic) that seem to make little sense and in my opinion probably compromise the original premise of the design. It also appears to have a wood foundation, which is not common in Wisconsin, but that is not visible anywhere. Overall an interesting and nice house. The buyers are excited.