Default Re: How to startle your home inspector

Nice!!

Quick out the back. My jealous husband followed me over here.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

C'mon Gene......you shoulda instantly recognized that as a non indigenous snake in SE Texas, and realized that it was a phony. You're slippin' man.

My wife had a life size statue of a sitting Rottweiler on the porch. She removed it when a Fedex guy jumped out of his shoes when he rounded the corner to the porch, dropped the package, and stumbled over the roses as he back peddled off the sidewalk in front of the porch.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

This was just last week and out of an abundance of caution i got no closer. It may be hard to see but the snake is under the return plenum and yes it was alive!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zehnder View Post
    This was just last week and out of an abundance of caution i got no closer. It may be hard to see but the snake is under the return plenum and yes it was alive!
    A few winters ago, I found a large bull snake spending the winter in the basement of an old vacant farmhouse. The buyer flipped out over it, but the agent and I convinced him to leave the snake alone. The agent told him that bull snakes chase rattlesnakes off and he was lucky to have such a big one to defend the house. I pointed out how mouse free the house was......

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Cool Re: How to startle your home inspector

Did one yesterday in home that had rattler all by itself in room. I thought cage was abandoned & simply being stored until taking picture close by & hearing that awful sound next to my ear! Always bring a "change of clothing"...!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Did one yesterday in home that had rattler all by itself in room. I thought cage was abandoned & simply being stored until taking picture close by & hearing that awful sound next to my ear! Always bring a "change of clothing"...!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mugford View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, a rattlesnake in New Hamphire? Did you take a photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Wow, a rattlesnake in New Hamphire? Did you take a photo?
    He said "in a cage"!?!?
    I suspect a strange pet.

Last year I inspected a vacant home. Vacant except a lawn chair in the dining room with a full size monster in it. It was just after Halloween, so I suspect he had been on the front porch. Still startled me the first couple times I went into that room.

Several years ago I was on my way into the attic. The access was in the garage. I have a bright led headlight as well as a flashlight. As usual, when I popped my head in the attic I made a slow 360 degree 'reconnaissance'. I was about half way through when I came face to face with a mountain lion. His mouth was wide open and his fangs were about a foot from my face. His outstretched paws and claws were even closer. I dropped my flashlight and almost slid back down the ladder before I realized he was stuffed.

I put a photo in my report with a caption about being careful when entering the attic. I heard back that Mrs. Seller wouldn't allow it in the house and thought Mr. Seller had got rid of it, but instead he had put it in the attic and forgotten about it.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. (Thomas Edison)

I got this little guy out of a bird's nest way up high on the side of a log home a couple of days ago. The real wonder was how in the heck he got up there.

(Photo was taken with a client's cell phone, but it ended up sideways, and rotating and saving it wouldn't keep it from still ending up sideways when uploaded here. At Jerry Peck's suggestion on another way to rotate it up correctly, I ended up trying three different photo softwares before Gimp 2 immediately recognized that it was wrong, and offered to fix it. Thanks Jerry, and thanks Gimp 2!)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Michael Chambers; 06-19-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chambers View Post
    (My photo was right side up, but when I imported it, it got turned sideways. I couldn't find a way to turn it back right side up again. I'll edit it if someone can tell me how.)
    Photo taken with your phone or a digital camera?

The way to edit the photo (which cannot be done here), is to go to the File Manager/File Explorer, double click it, rotate it, close it, and it will (should) save rotated. Then up load the rotated photo and remove the sideways photo.

Photos taken with a phone will turn which ever way the phone decides. Photos taken with a camera are the way they are taken. At least that is what I have found out, it's like the phone does not attach any marker to the file so the file knows which way is up and which way is down.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com