Default jacuzzi tub motor bonding lug

When is the bonding lug on the jacuzzi bathtub motor required to be used/utilized? Examples?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: jacuzzi tub motor bonding lug

the bonding lug is used to connect any metal plumbing system located under the tub or any metal parts in contact with the circulating water together.

"the bonding lug is used to connect any metal plumbing system located under the tub or any metal parts in contact with the circulating water together."

Is this required? Wouldn't the grounding pin on the attached cord bond the motor to the plumbing system since the supply pipes are bonded to the electrical system?

I see tub motors with bonding clamps and without. I figure that if the manufacturer went to the expense of putting the clamp on the motor, then they intended it to be used. If I don't see a clamp, then I don't mention it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

From the NEC.
    (2002)
    - 680.74 Bonding.
    - - All metal piping systems, metal parts of electrical equipment, and pump motors associated with the hydromassage tub shall be bonded together using a copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG solid. Metal parts of listed equipment incorporating an approved system of double insulation and providing a means for grounding internal nonaccessible, non–current-carrying metal parts shall not be bonded.

(2005)
    - 680.74 Bonding.
    - - All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG solid.

In 2005 it changed quite a bit. For 2005 - *IF* the piping is *not* "metal", and there are no grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water (other than the pump motor itself), nothing needs to be bonded.

(2008)
    - 680.74 Bonding.
    - - All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG. The bonding jumper shall be connected to the terminal on the circulating pump motor that is intended for this purpose. The bonding jumper shall not be required to be connected to a double insulated circulating pump motor. The 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding jumper shall be required for equipotential bonding in the area of the hydromassage bathtub and shall not be required to be extended or attached to any remote panelboard, service equipment, or any electrode.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

phil kaznowski Guest

I just looked at a typical tub where the motor was insulated and all piping was either pvc or abs. The only metal was the drain stopper and copper distribution to tub. If I understand, would the copper supply piping, even though bonded earlier in the system, follow this article?

Phil K
    Clio, CA