Default On demand water heater vent

Is the water heater vent under the deck allowed? There are no codes regulating this. This is a row home with this being the only termination point.

CSST bonded to waterline too.

Thank you

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: On demand water heater vent

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Latosky View Post
    Is the water heater vent under the deck allowed?
    Yes ... and ... no.

Yes, they can be under a deck, but with conditions (under deck area needs to be open, minimum clearance to deck above, etc.).

No, not like that one is.

There are no codes regulating this.
    You don't have any codes in your area?

Then it is down to the manufacturer's installation instructions (which is where the code would take you anyway), and the answer would still be the same.

But if there are no codes in your area ... there are no codes stating it has to be installed per the manufacturer's installation instructions ... the jury would say that when they award the amount of financial damages at the end of the trial.

Things like that are what makes the checks include an extra comma and a few more zeros ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'm sorry I should've had a? after there are no codes for this? We do still have the 2009 code here.

I was not able to find any code verbiage confirming this is an improper installation. The manufacturer refers to the ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 that as far as I could tell does not have any clearance requirements for being under a deck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...3LZa7SvAZfxUvA

Thank you

The manufacturer refers to the ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 that as far as I could tell does not have any clearance requirements for being under a deck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...3LZa7SvAZfxUvA
    Re-review the installation instructions you from the link you posted.

Go to page 15, the drawing and the "*" clearances:
    - *For clearances not specified in ANSI Z223.1 / NFPA 54 or CAN/CSA‐B149.1, please use clearances in accordance with local installation codes and the requirements of the gas supplier.

Let the installer furnish the installation requirements which they are allowed to meet.

I can't help you on codes are you elected to keep us in the dark as to where you are and therefore no code information can be presumed ... or you could the "Settings" tab at the top of the board,, then click on "Edit Profile" and fill in the information for "State or Providence", and you can even enter your city AND state there.

Or you could just keep us in the dark and accept whatever help comes your way from guessing whether you are in Russia, South America, Cuba, or wherever you may be ...

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 05-12-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added last part about keeping us in the dark by not letting us know where he is
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Is the water heater vent under the deck allowed? There are no codes regulating this. This is a row home with this being the only termination point.
    http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta....on-G-01-10.pdf

8.14.8 a vent shall not terminate

(h) underneath a veranda, porch, or deck unless

(i) the veranda, porch, or deck is fully open on a minimum of two sides beneath the floor; and

(ii) the distance between the top of the vent termination and the underside of the veranda, porch, or deck is greater than 1 ft (300 mm).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Powlesland View Post
    http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta....on-G-01-10.pdf

8.14.8 a vent shall not terminate

(h) underneath a veranda, porch, or deck unless

(i) the veranda, porch, or deck is fully open on a minimum of two sides beneath the floor; and

(ii) the distance between the top of the vent termination and the underside of the veranda, porch, or deck is greater than 1 ft (300 mm).

For all we know ... he might just be in Alberta where you are - we have not heard anything from him as to his whereabouts ... oh, well.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com