Default And your point is???????????

Monday I did an inspection - today (Friday) we got "the" call.
    Seller was pissed off at the "unprofessional" job th inspector did, or so says the listing agent. Seems the I called out a couple things that were going to cost a lot of money to fix.

The wife says, "Well isn't that the point of having an inspection, to call out the BIG things?

The agent goes on and says that the inspector, left a bunch of panel covers off, turned the water heater off and they had to take tepid showers the next day, left muddy footprints in the bathtub, and mad a huge mess in the house, AND called out fungus growth that a contractor friend said was just dirt or a place where they hadn't painted the basement wall.

I did call out that the 1983 air conditioner not only needed the coils cleaned, but it was about a decade past it's expected life. I also called out that the gas furnace needed some repairs with the fan motor bearings and maybe even the mounts, as well as the exhaust fan that you could hear screaming from outside. The water heater had a dip tube for the TPR overflow pipe, and a huge pile of rust on the top of the tank, and even thought it was almost 20 years old, I'm sure it had lots of life left in the old dog. I might have also mentioned the 4 or so double taps in the panel.

The seller of the house called me just a short time ago and wanted to complain about the unprofessional inspector we had sent to his house. After he ranted for a bit, I told him that I was the inspector.

I told him that I was sorry if I left a foot print in his tub. I had stepped in the tub to show the buyers agent the loose tiles around the window and on the surround, and I forgot to rinse the tub out. I apologized twice.

He also said that I left the cover off the water heater and had turned it almost to the off position. I told him I had not taken the cover off, and I never chance the temperature settings.

He told me I had unplugged his toasted AND his microwave and didn't plug them back in. I told him that I probably unplugged one of them to plug my computer in and forgot to plug his toaster back in. Again, I apologized.

Then he brought up the mold. He had a contractor friend look at it and he said it wasn't mold, and where did I get off calling it mold. I told him I called it out as suspected fungus growth that needed to be checked by someone that could tell exactly WHAT it was. I told him that I owed it to my client to point out ANY suspected fungus growth. We then went into a discussion on just how could I tell it was fungus or not, and I probably cost him a sale and .........etc etc etc. I told him that just like I know that stuff that grows on cheese, and those oranges that have been left on the back shelf too long is mold, is how I know that the same looking stuff growing on a foundation wall or piece of wood is probably fungus too. I may not know what kind it is, but I know it is fungus.

I was wondering why it had taken them from Monday till today to call and complain...then I got a call from the Buyer's agent. Seemed the deal went south TODAY when the sellers said they would only pay $500 for repairs. My cliiet was only asking for $1800.

Oh well - thanks for listening.
    JF

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Default Re: And your point is???????????

Jack,

... and yet ... when it comes time for this fellow to buy a house he will "love" your attention to detail and the report you provide.

You've been around long enough to have been through "the drill".

Hang in there. I can well sympathize with you ... it gets frustrating at times.

You are such a picky jerk of an unprofessional inspector. I can't believe you'r still in business.

How dare you bust the deal with calling out all those important things like that?

Don't you know you're just supposed to point out the little things that won't kill the deal.

How Dare You!

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

NO TOAST!!!!!!!!!

I'd track you down and take your man card away from you, Jack Feldman.

How do you sleep at night after going around and creating such havoc?

Rick

Jack, Be happy!!! That is one ethically challenged broker you will never have to deal with again. Again, brokers are a dime a dozen, we are worth about a quarter.

Wayne,

You had said you were more silver back these days. Might want to hang onto this for later use.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    the sellers said they would only pay $500 for repairs. My cliiet was only asking for $1800.
    Jack,

The seller let the buyer walk away over $1,300???

IN THIS MARKET?????

WHAT A FREAKIN' IDIOT!!!

He will regret that later when he has lowered the sales price two more times and is now asking $20,000 less.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

Luuuuceeee... you got sum splannin ta do bout dat water heater!!!!!!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ _________

I too can't believe in these times a seller (at the advice of the listing agent) would fore-go a sale for $1300 difference.

That's unbelievable.

rr

Kevin Luce Guest

I see this once in a while. The seller watches these TV shows where they spend money to make the house look nice (does not fix any problems). You have a Realtor that tells them they can sell the house in a couple of weeks (to get their business). The house doesn't sell at first and the Realtor convinces the seller to drop their price. The seller finally has an offer which then has to negotiate to a price that they are just happy with or are not happy with. The buyers has a home inspection and the sellers are now asked to spend more money fixing the existing problems. The buyer only has one of two people to complain to, the Realtor and the home inspector.

Wait, did I mention that the seller is not getting much for the house because they had refinanced the house so they can pay for Xmas and go on vacation last winter plus they are paying the Realtors 6%, which for Realtors, can range from 40% up to 90% of that 3% and is likely (at least in the past) to have a new client looking at houses since those potently buyers called the Realtor from the sign in front of the house that the Realtor is selling.

The only thing I ask from a Realtor is don't call me to complain about something when your child is crying and your dog is barking. I know the Realtor is use to the noise but it's annoying and distracting to me.

When it comes to the seller, I wish they would stop watching the TV shows that only show people spending money on making the house look nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    When it comes to the seller, I wish they would stop watching the TV shows that only show people spending money on making the house look nicer.

Kevin nailed that one.

I tell my clients when they see a home, that is probably in the best looking appearance it has ever been in being they are trying to sell the home.

If they'd had came around a few months ago, it probably wouldn't even look like the same house.

It makes you wonder about the ones you go in that are just a total wreck though. Do they really think that someone is going to buy a mess as they live in. From my experience, houses in bad appearance condition always fall out not only from the inspection but the buyer got to spend a couple hours in the home during the inspection and seen what a real POS it is.

rick