Default What else to do before the NHIE

I have completed 120 hours of training via ICA. (Online training course)
    Completed the 50 question NHIE sample test.
    I also downloaded an app with 350 study questions. (HI exam prep)
    I plan to join a local home inspector and tag along for a couple of inspections in the following weeks.
    I only want to take the NHIE once... Anything else I can / should do to prep?

Thanks for your input. Im excited to join this community!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: What else to do before the NHIE

What helped me a LOT was to study pictures and illustrations. I'm a visual learner, so just reading text isn't always the best way for me to absorb information. Going through "Home Systems Illustrated" by Tom Feiza, as well as "The Illustrated Home" (Carson Dunlop) several times helped make the important stuff sink in. I would also now add "Means Illustrated Construction Dictionary," which I just got this year but would have been a fantastic learning tool.

Also, visit a lot of home inspector's websites and look at the pictures they have. Our website has a "hall of shame" with defects from new and old houses; I think we've got about 1000 pictures there you're welcome to comb through. The NHIE does use pictures for some questions, which my instructor didn't tell me, so it was a bit of a surprise.

I took the test once and got well above passing, so it IS possible. But it's a hard test, so preparation is key. I studied for weeks before taking it.

Good luck!

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    What helped me a LOT was to study pictures and illustrations. I'm a visual learner, so just reading text isn't always the best way for me to absorb information. Going through "Home Systems Illustrated" by Tom Feiza, as well as "The Illustrated Home" (Carson Dunlop) several times helped make the important stuff sink in. I would also now add "Means Illustrated Construction Dictionary," which I just got this year but would have been a fantastic learning tool.

Also, visit a lot of home inspector's websites and look at the pictures they have. Our website has a "hall of shame" with defects from new and old houses; I think we've got about 1000 pictures there you're welcome to comb through. The NHIE does use pictures for some questions, which my instructor didn't tell me, so it was a bit of a surprise.

I took the test once and got well above passing, so it IS possible. But it's a hard test, so preparation is key. I studied for weeks before taking it.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for the detailed post!

The Tom Feiza is $999.99 on amazon!! Ill keep an eye out for it on ebay. Ill make sure I check out the "hall of shame" and The Illustrated Home is ordered!

I also had no idea that the test would include pictures. Are the questions phrased "Whats wrong with this picture?" or/and "What should be include in the report if you saw this?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Schwegel View Post
    Thank you so much for the detailed post!

The Tom Feiza is $999.99 on amazon!! Ill keep an eye out for it on ebay. Ill make sure I check out the "hall of shame" and The Illustrated Home is ordered!

I also had no idea that the test would include pictures. Are the questions phrased "Whats wrong with this picture?" or/and "What should be include in the report if you saw this?"
    How to Operate Your Home - Tom Feiza - Mr. Fix-It, Inc. - Home Systems Illustrated | How to Operate Your Home

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI