RobertSmith Guest

Default Re: Proper Fire Retardant System?

Well, it not a "fire retardant system" but it does provide for minimum fire rated protection if of Type X gypsum board.

But not installed like that.

First, that is screwed up through the roof sheathing, so I would be concerned about the screws penetrating through to the roof covering above the roof sheathing.

Second, and more important, is that the gypsum board needs to be properly attached to framing at its edges and at it normal and proper nailing/fastening requirements, i.e., along all edges and equivalent maximum 24" 'stud' spacing, and spacing between fasteners.

Then all joints and seams need to be taped and sealed, which includes where they went around the trusses. Also, the lateral bracing should not "go through" that fire rated wall (most likely it is a "fire partition"), the lateral bracing should stop at the wall and start back up on the other side of the wall, being nailed to blocking attached to each side of that wall.

Not enough can be seen from that photo, but it looks "inadequate" to me.

Also, those are trusses, if the gypsum board is attached to the sheathing as it appears to be, where to heck are the truss top chords? I don't see *any* at all?????

The more I look at that photo, the stranger it looks.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I see that kind of installation occasionally, probably on newer construction. Generally, the fire separation wall is only on the common wall between adjoining units. However, it always seemed to me that a fire could travel along the roof sheathing and into the adjacent attic. I assume that installing the rock on the underside of the roof is an attempt to provide a more effective barrier. Personally, I would not make any comment about the stuff attached to the roof sheathing. However, I would expect the openings in the wall to be fire caulked at least.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I assume that installing the rock on the underside of the roof is an attempt to provide a more effective barrier.

Gunnar,

If the roof sheathing is not fire retardant treated for 4 feet out from each side of that common wall (not 4 feet from the center of the wall - 8 foot sheets laid across the wall are not long enough), then the roof sheathing is required to be protected for that 4 feet from each side of the common fire partition wall.

You may not be seeing gypsum board as them may be using fire retardant treated roof sheathing. Maybe.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

I really haven't paid attention as to whether or not the sheathing is treated. I rather doubt it, as I would expect some obvious labeling. I know that I do not see any attempt at fire break on the underside of the roof on the older condos and townhomes.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSmith View Post
    Jerry, would be the lateral bracing issue going through the wall be a noteworthy item, make it into your report? What could they do about now (2003 condo).
    Yes, it would be in my report.

The easy repair is cut out the section going through the fire partition, repair both sides of the gypsum board, then attach blocking (a nailer) to each side of the wall, then attach the lateral brace to the blocking.

The fire partition (any fire rated wall assembly) take precedence over everything else. If you penetrate it then the penetration must be an approved fireblocking assembly, and, for larger items like ducts, etc., a fire damper is installed at the wall which closes in case there is a fire there.

There are two basic types of fire dampers, one which is operated (opened and closed) by control of the fire panel, and one which has a fusible link which melts and allows the damper to close.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A proper parapet would also meet the fire requirements.

Darren

New Jersey Home Inspection - About the House!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    A proper parapet would also meet the fire requirements.
    Yes, but ... the wall would have to be continuous up through the roof sheathing, it is not allowed to stop at the roof sheathing and then start back up. The fire rated wall takes precedence over all other walls, floor, roofs, etc.

Also, if that were not a condo, say it was a townhouse, then the structure between the fire rated walls would need to be designed independently of each other, so one could burn down but the fire rated wall and the other structure on the other side of the fire rated wall would still be standing. With a condo, it is 'one structure'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Yes, but ... the wall would have to be continuous up through the roof sheathing, it is not allowed to stop at the roof sheathing and then start back up. The fire rated wall takes precedence over all other walls, floor, roofs, etc.

Also, if that were not a condo, say it was a townhouse, then the structure between the fire rated walls would need to be designed independently of each other, so one could burn down but the fire rated wall and the other structure on the other side of the fire rated wall would still be standing. With a condo, it is 'one structure'.
    Jerry,

Just like a fire separation wall is supposed to extend to the outside edge of the structure? You mean like that?

The parapet wall remark was meant for Gunnar; he's that one that stated he only sees fire separation on the common wall.

So if you don't see drywall or fire-rated plywood on the underside of the roof, there should be a 30 inch high parapet wall.

Darren