The secret to a long and happy marriage ...
(This was in a recent e-mail a friend sent my wife and me)

A small town newspaper reporter was doing a story on a couple in their late 90s who had been happily married for 75 years. The reporter asked the man what the secret to their success was.

He replied:

When we first got married we took a trip to see the Grand Canyon for our Honeymoon.

All was going great so we decided to take the pack mule trip down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and camp there for the final weekend.

On the trip down the canyon walls, my wife's mule stumbled and caused her to lose her balance and fall off. She got back on the mule and calmly said "That's once."

A littler further down my wife's mule stumbled again, but this time my wife managed to stay on the mule, she said softly and calmly "That's twice."

Just about the time we got to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, my wife's mule stumbled again, and again she managed to stay on the mule and softly and calmly said "That's three times.', at which time she climbed off the mule, pulled out her gun and shot the mule dead!

I said "ARE YOU CRAZY WOMAN! HOW are we going to get back up the canyon walls! Are you out of your mind? Whatever came over you? WHAT are you going to do NOW?"

She turned to me and softly and calmly said "That's once."

We have lived happily ever since.