Default Installing PEX on a power vented water heater

Is this installation acceptable? Is there supposed to be clearance from the PEX to the flue? 6"/12"/18" ? I tried google and looking up installation instructions on both water heaters and PEX but could not find a definite answer. Any help

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Installing PEX on a power vented water heater

NO! power vent! no clearance required

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    NO! power vent! no clearance required
    Do you have any reference for that?

From Apollo PEX installation instruction quotes
    "Excessive Heat Soldering - Do not solder near Apollo PEX tubing. Water Heaters and Boilers - Use a minimum of 18" of metal tubing to transition between Apollo PEX tubing and the water heater/boiler." It does not distinguish between water heaters.

I also found this from the Uniform Plumbing code.
    604.11.2 Water Heater Connections. PEX shall not be installed within the first 18 inches (457 mm) of piping connected to a water heater. Again does not state type of water heater.

Last edited by David OKeefe; 06-08-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David OKeefe View Post
    From Apollo PEX installation instruction quotes
    "Excessive Heat Soldering - Do not solder near Apollo PEX tubing. Water Heaters and Boilers - Use a minimum of 18" of metal tubing to transition between Apollo PEX tubing and the water heater/boiler." It does not distinguish between water heaters.
    Curious why you would use a reference for "Excessive Heat Soldering" when there was no soldering present?

I also found this from the Uniform Plumbing code.
    604.11.2 Water Heater Connections. PEX shall not be installed within the first 18 inches (457 mm) of piping connected to a water heater. Again does not state type of water heater.
    I may have missed it, but I did not find a similar restriction in the IRC ... why did you choose the Uniform Plumbing Code (most places now use the ICC codes as their base codes - most, but not all)?

The reason for the first 18" is to get the PEX away from the vent heat of a (typically) type B gas vent (the same hot water is going to be going through the PEX directly connected or 10 feet away), and with a power vented water heater ... well, there is no heat build-up to stay clear of.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason that would be prohibited.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is an installation manual for their power vent water heaters: http://www.giantinc.com/tech-data/GI-IM015En.pdf

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Curious why you would use a reference for "Excessive Heat Soldering" when there was no soldering present?

I may have missed it, but I did not find a similar restriction in the IRC ... why did you choose the Uniform Plumbing Code (most places now use the ICC codes as their base codes - most, but not all)?

The reason for the first 18" is to get the PEX away from the vent heat of a (typically) type B gas vent (the same hot water is going to be going through the PEX directly connected or 10 feet away), and with a power vented water heater ... well, there is no heat build-up to stay clear of.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason that would be prohibited.
    Sorry Jerry, copy and pasted more than needed. I was just trying to list all that I found on connecting PEX and water heaters. Looks like it is allowed. I did put in a call to the water heater manufacture, waiting for a reply.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    This is an installation manual for their power vent water heaters: http://www.giantinc.com/tech-data/GI-IM015En.pdf
    That manual does not mention type of supply pipe so I assume the type of pipe does not matter.