Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Crack Beneath Beam Pocket On Foundation Wall

This house is 3 years old and every beam pocket in the foundation walls of the basement look sloppy (cracked corners and pockets not filled with mortar but full bearing support in tact for the I beams). However, this one is a distinctly different as the crack seen in the attached pics starts underneath what should be an area of bearing support for the steel I-beam. The crack peters out about 2.5'-3' down the wall. In addition, the steel shims are a little offset beneath the beam creating a void in the bearing support.

How many of you would recommend a structural engineer vs recommending having it serviced and repaired by a foundation installation/repair professional? I feel some level of action/repair is definitely needed, just not sure which recommendation is the best course of action. Looking at the beam and cracked foundation pocket as it stands now, I'd say the beam does not have proper structural bearing support beneath close to 1/3 the width of the beam.

Thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Crack Beneath Beam Pocket On Foundation Wall

If the beam ends have sufficient bearing the cracking is superficial.

I would recommend a structural engineer - the beam is sitting on a corner and that crack looks structural - if it is your place , make sure the engineer is going to core and test the cement - the other thing I would do if it was mine is to place a jacking post under it (just in case)

- - - Updated - - -

I would recommend a structural engineer - the beam is sitting on a corner and that crack looks structural - if it is your place , make sure the engineer is going to core and test the cement - the other thing I would do if it was mine is to place a jacking post under it (just in case)

Now a second look rather than on my iphone and there appears to be insufficient bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Doane View Post
    ... concrete ... (cement is one of the components of concrete) ...

I would go for the structural engineer too.

I noticed that the steel shims are offset to the left (good, gets the bearing away from the corner further) ... except the bottom shim which is offset towards the corner and putting more bearing out near the corner.

Seems like a nice wide beam pocket ... with the beam placed all the way over by the corner instead of away from the corner.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cracks below beam pockets almost never bother me. That one is different. It does look like a piece of concrete could break out, and the shim is poorly placed. Although I am a structural engineer, and like to get referred by HIs, I'd just report that it appears to need structural repair. They can get a second opinion if they want. Epoxy injection may work, but it may blow out the corner. A column placed adjacent to the FW may be another option.

BTW, I'm guessing that the garage is opposite that corner.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

You are correct Mark. That beam pocket is on the other side of the garage wall.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    You are correct Mark. That beam pocket is on the other side of the garage wall.
    Many times when typical shrinkage cracks occur at or near the corner adjacent to the garage the cracks tend to be wider than normal. I believe it is because the walls can separate a bit due to the pressure of the soil or when the soil/stone fill is compacted.

- - - Updated - - -