Default Please look at this panel of All Electric Home and give feedback

All Electric home panel. Not sure why the breaker tagged MAIN is a 60 amp breaker. I did not see any issues other than using the large knockout to enter multiple wires but I could not read the panel box to find out acceptable wire entry size/amounts. I do not know why, but I have a feeling I am missing something. Also in a split bus how do I know panel amperage? Anyone?Attachment 31891Attachment 31892Attachment 31891IMG_1912.jpg

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by chris vis; 06-12-2015 at 08:00 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Please look at this panel of All Electric Home and give feedback

The 60 amp main makes it sound like a split bus panel. Did you look at the wiring diagram on the label?

The label will not list acceptable wire sizes and combinations through a knockout. That is a function of the connector.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

It certainly looks like a split buss panel with room for 6 240-volt disconnects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    It certainly looks like a split buss panel with room for 6 240-volt disconnects.
    That is where taking a step back and getting a full view photo of the panel comes in handy - that would show for sure if the conductors from the 60 amp main go to the lugs on the bus bars to the other section of the panel (which I am sure they do, but we can't see that and verify it).

Necessary photos: full front view, then right side half, left side half, top half, bottom half, then closer up photos of the parts in question. Unless, of course, the panel is nice, clean, and open (not jammed full of conductors), in which case a full front view photo might suffice for the 'half' photos, then the closeups.

Just some suggestions on taking photos which would help show what is going on.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mbrooke Guest

Are those challenger breakers near the bottom? They look to have an FPE design to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That is where taking a step back and getting a full view photo of the panel comes in handy - that would show for sure if the conductors from the 60 amp main go to the lugs on the bus bars to the other section of the panel (which I am sure they do, but we can't see that and verify it).

Necessary photos: full front view, then right side half, left side half, top half, bottom half, then closer up photos of the parts in question. Unless, of course, the panel is nice, clean, and open (not jammed full of conductors), in which case a full front view photo might suffice for the 'half' photos, then the closeups.

Just some suggestions on taking photos which would help show what is going on.
    Jerry,

I could not do this time as I wrote up the panel accessibility/location due to the fact that the only way I could view and get to it was through a gap of four inches between two opposite wall cabinets. It was set into the finished wall behind them. It took forever just to manipulate the screws in the cover off and on.

Quote Originally Posted by chris viscomi View Post
    ... I wrote up the panel accessibility/location due to the fact that the only way I could view and get to it was through a gap of four inches between two opposite wall cabinets. It was set into the finished wall behind them. It took forever just to manipulate the screws in the cover off and on.
    Well worth the effort to get to it.

The location/access is enough to have it relocated, in which case any items related to the panel at the new location are the doings of the new contractor.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com