Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Water Heater Vent

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-19-2007 at 11:05 AM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Water Heater Vent

What I would concentrate on is that the bottom vent section slips OVER the section above it - it should be inserted INSIDE the section above it.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Russel Ray Guest

I'm not seeing what you're seeing, Eric.

Does this help?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Looks like an "unusual" installation to me. From what I can see in the picture, I would most likely recommend that a qualified-licensed-professional plumber correct it as soon as possible.

Thats polite speak for, "it looks like a total whacked-up, jack-leg, amateur installation that could cause your family to not wake-up one morning".

That is, in my most humble opinion, which I admit in advance will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Cool Re: Water Heater Vent

Could be my eyes but that single wall vent appears to be closer than 6 inches to the wall before it terminates into the B-vent.

Russel Ray Guest

Hey, Eric.

What your arrows are point to looks like the demarcation where the flue diameter decreases just slightly so that it will fit into the piece above it. What I've marked looks to me like the one above it is definitely over the one below it, as indicated by where the screws are and the bend in the metal.

This is a very good reason why I rarely comment on pictures. The flat dimension, angle, lighting, etc., can lead to false conclusions.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ray,

Pardon my analness (it drives my wife crazy). The flue is the space inside the liner. What we're talking about is the vent connector (or chimney connector as the case may be). BTW - I'm still trying to get away from saying outlet and instead say receptacle.

Anyway, I'm quite sure that the picture is clear enough to say that the connection at my arrow is wrong - the bottom vent is slipped over the vent section that's between our two arrows.

I attached a picture which relates. The stains show where combustions gas has been escaping from the improper connection.

Does this help??

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Russel Ray Guest

If that little two-inch section is, indeed, a section, then, yes, it is wrong. It just doesn't look that way to me in the picture. To me it looks like part of the section below our arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Ray View Post
    If that little two-inch section is, indeed, a section, then, yes, it is wrong.
    Russel,

Looking at the rolled joint in the inserted piece and the screw at the right top of the piece below it. It's on the inside of connecting vents.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Russel,

Looking at the rolled joint ...
    At first I thought you were going to say something quite different than what you talked about.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    At first I thought you were going to say something quite different than what you talked about.

What? Me?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.