Default Checking Water Meter Connection

Does anybody check a municipal water meter connection for residential service during an inspection? I.E., check for polybutylene pipe or leaks on the customer side?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Default Re: Checking Water Meter Connection

Stuart,

I always check the meter as you mention for any visible leakage at connections. I also make sure that the shut-off valve is operable and not damaged. Sometimes I've found that the shutoff valve is damaged so that the water would not be able to be shut off in an emergency situation.

I also like to look at the dial on the meter to see if any movement is happening when none of the fixtures are being operated.

rick

I do it occasionally, but I probably should do it regularly.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

ditto, Rick's reply

Easy to trace which fixture, usually toilet flapper, is leaking and potentially detect slab leaks.

It's a far reach $$$ from handyman/plumber to slab leak location and repair.

Stuart,

Where is Fredericksberg, A?

the one in VA?

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    ditto, Rick's reply

Stuart,

Where is Fredericksberg, A?

the one in VA?
    Acutally, it's the one in Virginia. half-way between that Washington D.C. and Richmond, VA on I-95. I thought I changed that 'A' to 'VA' just yesterday but either I didn't or the system doesn't like VA.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Eric Shuman Guest

Typically it's the second thing I do after begin the inspection. The first thing I do is take an overall picture of the house. The second thing is pull the water meter cover off to take a look for any problems and see if the leak indicator dial is moving like the other guys said. I then take a photo of the meter dial, wait a moment and take another to show that the leak indicator is not moving (or is moving, occasionally). These two pictures go in my report in the plumbing section with a comment saying they are for informational purposes if the leak indicator is not moving. If the leak indicator is moving and I can't find a running toilet, dripping faucet or other source to make the dial turn then I comment that it is possible that there is a water supply leak somewhere on the property and recommend that a plumber be consulted.

On one of my inspections when the leak indicator was turning very slowly, a supply leak was found in the slab and on another inspection a below grade leak was found.

It's just one of those things I do everytime because of the off chance that there may be a problem even though there qre usually no issues found.

I definitely think the meter should be looked at on every inspection.

Eric

Wished I could find the picture but once I found a meter that had been by-passed and was hooked directly to the city side of the line.

This seller had got by for years without paying a dime for city service. The city knew that the person had a water well on the place and never checked the meter.

Well guess who screwed up that free water service?

rick

James Duffin Guest

I now check townhouses to confirm that the meter is serving the right house. Since the drought in NC there have been several times when a family had been conserving but the water bill did not drop but their neighbors did. The plumber had connected the house to the wrong meter. Never thought of it before but I do check that now. I also show the buyer the triangle on the meter that moves with any water flow. They are amazed at how smart I am!

I check for meter movement and will generally open a hose bib to prove that the meter moves. I also recommend the buyers mount a meter box key and wrench in the garage or somewhere convenient for emergency use; since the meter stop is usually the easiest valve to find and operate in the event of a water leak. For you guys in the land of basements, all our meters are in an underground box along the curb in the front yard and most shut-off valves in the water service past the meter are buried under shrubs and such.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Acutally, it's the one in Virginia. half-way between that Washington D.C. and Richmond, VA on I-95. I thought I changed that 'A' to 'VA' just yesterday but either I didn't or the system doesn't like VA.
    That's what I thought but I "never" want to assume anything.
    and as has been posted before we may need a place to bunk if we're in your neck of the woods, invitations accepted.

Thanks

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good