Thread: New phone scam

Default New phone scam

Just got a series of texts inquiring about home inspections, billing, payment types and so on. Seemed kinda strange but I was willing to speak to the sender. At least until the conversation began to sound like a phishing scheme. Caller wants to send me $5000 and I am supposed to send $4000 to the seller for some repairs, then I am supposed to deduct $400 for the inspection, $100 for myself for acting on his behalf, any funds for the CC processing and so forth. 7013534080 and caller claims his name is Jay Smart. Very bad grammar and spelling as if English my not be his primary language. Strange but he would never give me an address for the home to be inspected...

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Default Re: New phone scam

Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    Just got a series of texts inquiring about home inspections, billing, payment types and so on. Seemed kinda strange but I was willing to speak to the sender. At least until the conversation began to sound like a phishing scheme. Caller wants to send me $5000 and I am supposed to send $4000 to the seller for some repairs, then I am supposed to deduct $400 for the inspection, $100 for myself for acting on his behalf, any funds for the CC processing and so forth. 7013534080 and caller claims his name is Jay Smart. Very bad grammar and spelling as if English my not be his primary language. Strange but he would never give me an address for the home to be inspected...
    Alton,

If it walks like a scam...

Sure sounds like it. Probably waiting for you to send him your bank account number and password so he can "deposit"

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

The phone number is in Boise Idaho but that can be spoofed. He sends you a check for 5k made out to you or your company, you deposit it and send a check for 4k to the "seller" who happens to be in bed with him. Your check is cashed immediately and then when the bank bounces his check your check has already been cashed. Old scam. You lose he wins.

It is a very common scam, although I never heard of it related to home inspections. They use bank checks that you think are as good as cash. They are not and will bounce.

ABSOLUTELY A SCAM Very common ploy online and on Craigslist. This one is just in a new area. Any funds in the form of a wire transfer from Western Union or Cashier's Check will appear legit but will bounce after a few days. By that time you have already taken money out and sent it on to his "Seller. When the check does bounce, you are left holding the bag.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504