Thread: What is this?

Default What is this?

New to me: GFAF w/ central AC, single single story ranch. This box is about 8x8" and is located in the attic above the utility room w/ the furnace and WH . The circle is a little damper, when I open the damper I cannot determine where the duct below goes, and I could not locate the other end. The damper does not open when the blower operates.

Thoughts?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What is this?

My guess is that it was to introduce combustion/make-up air into the utility room but is no longer in use (because you couldn't find the other end). Operative word is "guess".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

James Duffin Guest

It looks like a barometric damper. Maybe at one time they needed to control the draw on the appliance connected to the vent. Another guess based on very little fact!

Wen Myrick Guest

Hi there,
    Michael did you mean to say it's 8 inches x 8 ? And is the WH and heating in the attic with it?
    Is it an operating unit?
    In a few older Homes I have seen this above draw fans, they are installed to direct air flow AWAY from the WH and HVAC to avoid extinguishing the pilots.

Just a possibility,

~Wen~
    Wen's Home Inspections

Wen Myrick Guest

MIND IF I SHARE THIS THREAD today?

This thing is in front of a home built in 1949..... it is made of cement inside with a 6" cast pipe visible through a wall
    the direction of the cast line is toward the street.
    There is clean standing water in it and we've had no rain to speak of here as of yet.....
    When I crawled under this home there is moisture (not standing water) damp soil....
    What the heck is it?
    The home Has a Pool WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY outback and the grading of the property is a substantial 8+ inch drop back there.... so it shouldn't have anything to do with the pool....

what do you think?
    ~Wen~

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Wen, might that be a receptor for the pool equipment drain (back flushing)
    The drain line being the line entering from the top through an air gap and the basin being the trap before entering into the city sewer? Kind of like dumping water into a toilet?

Our pools have that type of drain line and air gap discharge into a larger drain line, but I have never seen the cast concrete basin before.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Wen, might that be a receptor for the pool equipment drain (back flushing)
    The drain line being the line entering from the top through an air gap and the basin being the trap before entering into the city sewer?
    I've never heard of a place which would allow draining a swimming pool into the sewer system - that would create a large additional load for the water treatment plant.

I know in South Florida that was strictly prohibited in the South Florida Building Code.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I've never heard of a place which would allow draining a swimming pool into the sewer system - that would create a large additional load for the water treatment plant.

I know in South Florida that was strictly prohibited in the South Florida Building Code.
    Not saying it's right but it's allowed by many munis around here

see Swimming Pool Solutions

http://www.wheredoesitgo.com/media/p...ulSep_2005.pdf

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Wen Myrick Guest

Smile Re: What is this?

Thanks Guys!
    I didn't think that it was for pool drainage, However upon re-evaluating the street ie;the neighborhood....
    There are no sidewalks or gutters and the entire side of this street backs directly up to the Freeway...freeway is on the 'downgrade'
    So If the pool were drained it could cause accidents for unsuspecting motorists....

If a drain were run to the front , it would all just run back downhill and under the home.
    ergo: I'm going to go with the city sewer idea

Thanks so much
    ~Wen~

Could this be a sump pump drain? Are there storm drains in the area?

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

William Brady Guest

any chance it might have something to do with Green Building someting or another?? Those plants look good around it.