Don Martin Guest

Default Wall Furnace in a studio Apartment

Are there any exceptions to the no gravity heater in a sleeping room? The apartment has one big common area that is the living room, bedroom and kitchen about 450 sq ft with an 8 ft ceiling and a separate bathroom. The gravity wall heater has 35,000 btu input. Building is about 25 years old and located in California if that matters.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Wall Furnace in a studio Apartment

What you describe is a Zero Bedroom, commonly referred to as an "efficiency". Sometimes zero bedroom dwellings have exceptions. Best to check your local codes office.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    What you describe is a Zero Bedroom, commonly referred to as an "efficiency". Sometimes zero bedroom dwellings have exceptions. Best to check your local codes office.
    Interesting ... I haven't heard the term "zero bedroom" before.

Efficiencies do have a "sleeping area", and that "sleeping area" is the term that the code uses - the sleeping area in an efficiency is the same area used for almost everything else.

While a "zero bedroom" efficiency may indeed not have a "bedroom", the code, as I recall, does not address bedrooms. If a code does use the term bedroom, my guess is that a bedroom will be defined as a room or area for sleeping.

I am not aware of an exception for efficiencies from requirements regarding fuel burning appliances.

As Rick said - you could check with your AHJ.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Interesting ... I haven't heard the term "zero bedroom" before.

Efficiencies do have a "sleeping area", and that "sleeping area" is the term that the code uses - the sleeping area in an efficiency is the same area used for almost everything else.

While a "zero bedroom" efficiency may indeed not have a "bedroom", the code, as I recall, does not address bedrooms. If a code does use the term bedroom, my guess is that a bedroom will be defined as a room or area for sleeping.

I am not aware of an exception for efficiencies from requirements regarding fuel burning appliances.

As Rick said - you could check with your AHJ.
    When I got my Lead paint certification, there are Zero bedroom dwellings. Was just pointing out that a Zero bedroom MAY have different requirements.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    When I got my Lead paint certification, there are Zero bedroom dwellings. Was just pointing out that a Zero bedroom MAY have different requirements.
    Rick,

I was acknowledging that, and that it should be checked on, while also being surprised by it as I had never heard the term "zero bedroom" before.

From the IRC: (it uses "sleeping rooms" and "bedroom" but does not define either, but an efficiency does have a "sleeping room", it may also be a "zero bedroom" ... would that mean that the exceptions which state "bedrooms" are not applicable to efficiencies? )
    - G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited locations.
    - - Appliances shall not be located in sleeping rooms, bathrooms, toilet rooms, storage closets or surgical rooms, or in a space that opens only into such rooms or spaces, except where the installation complies with one of the following:
    - - - 1. The appliance is a direct-vent appliance installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer’s instructions.
    - - - 2. Vented room heaters, wall furnaces, vented decorative appliances, vented gas fireplaces, vented gas fireplace heaters and decorative appliances for installation in vented solid fuel-burning fireplaces are installed in rooms that meet the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5.
    - - - 3. A single wall-mounted unvented room heater is installed in a bathroom and such unvented room heater is equipped as specified in Section G2445.6 and has an input rating not greater than 6,000 Btu/h (1.76 kW). The bathroom shall meet the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5.
    - - - 4. A single wall-mounted unvented room heater is installed in a bedroom and such unvented room heater is equipped as specified in Section G2445.6 and has an input rating not greater than 10,000 Btu/h (2.93 kW). The bedroom shall meet the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5.
    - - - 5. The appliance is installed in a room or space that opens only into a bedroom or bathroom, and such room or space is used for no other purpose and is provided with a solid weather-stripped door equipped with an approved self-closing device. All combustion air shall be taken directly from the outdoors in accordance with Section G2407.6.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com