Default Solar battery bank setting off CO detector

I inspected an off-grid house today with a solar system. My CO detector went nuts when I entered the room with the battery bank. Any clues as to why this would happen?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    John Thompson
    Shelter Works Home Inspections, LLC
    Missoula, MT

Default Re: Solar battery bank setting off CO detector

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry! After doing some internet research, it appears that off gassing of Hydrogen will set off a CO detector. Hydrogen is flammable, and there was a gas fired water heater in the same room. I recommended that the battery bank be moved do another location.

John Thompson
    Shelter Works Home Inspections, LLC
    Missoula, MT

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Now that was interesting and appreciated. MB's are meant for meaningful discussion and the passing of information. Thank You.

Bryce Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Home Inspection
    St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada

Also

http://www.fireengineering.com/artic...detectors.html

Interfering gases of similar molecular size and chemical reactivity may produce false positive response. Major interferents that can affect CO detectors are acetylene, dimethyl sulfide, ethyl alcohol, ethylene, hydrogen cyanide, hydrogen sulfide, isopropyl alcohol, mercaptan, methyl alcohol, propane, nitrogen dioxide, and sulfur dioxide.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Thanks Jerry! After doing some internet research, it appears that off gassing of Hydrogen will set off a CO detector. Hydrogen is flammable, and there was a gas fired water heater in the same room. I recommended that the battery bank be moved do another location.
    Wet cell batteries (the ones that outgas) should be installed in there own room or compartment that is fan ventilated with a make up inlet to the space. No other equipment should be there except cables and perhaps some equipment rated to be installed in a battery compartment (some charge controllers for example, battery watering gear). Corrosion is common with any metal components in the battery compartments. In earthquake country the bank needs to be braced or tied down.

Inspectors should look for fusing or DC breakers as every battery bank needs protection from shorts, over amps etc

Also large battery banks have a crazy amount of Amps in them so don't drop any tools on them or you are in for a dangerous surprise.

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tilleux View Post
    Wet cell batteries (the ones that outgas) should be installed in there own room or compartment that is fan ventilated.

Stephen, I believe it was the last issue of either NFPA Journal or IAEI News (caught up with both on last week's vacation) that had an article on batteries. It warned against relying on power ventilation.