Eric Shuman Guest

Default Cantilevered Floor Truss

Does anyone know if engineered floor trusses allowed to be cantilevered as shown in the photo. I'm having a hard time finding info about installation guidelines. The trusses are open web, not I-joists.

Thanks,

Eric

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Cantilevered Floor Truss

Probably ... but only for those designed to be cantilevered, not ones engineered to be end bearing.

You would need to have the truss engineering to look at to see where the bearing is. Many newer ones I've been seeing are now being marked with tags which show where the bearing points are if other than just end bearing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Eric Shuman Guest

Thanks Jerry,

Eric

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Smile Re: Cantilevered Floor Truss

Floor Trusses are often designed for a cantilever. Interior cantilevers in a residential loft are usually not an issue. Where you can run into issues is then the second floor bearing walls sit on the end of the cantilever. Usually they design for this condition, but occasionally they leave this load off of the design. Basically if you can get a copy of the original engineering for the house that will tell you where all the bearings are on each individual truss design.

Hmmm, Mike says about the same thing Jerry did, a couple of years ago.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Linda Swearingen Guest

Trusses are designed for the particulars of each situation they're bought for; if they are on the prints that way and the prints have not been altered, they're probably fine (and if they aren't it's the engineer's liability, not the builder's). It's field alterations that get folks into trouble. The attic shelving conveniently added to web members, etc. Or the ones where they remove the web members that interfere with setting the furnace on the bottom chord. . .