Default tankless water heater

I inspected a home today that was extensively remodeled in 2013, with permits/inspections (I know- so what?). There is a Rheem 180,000 Btu tankless wh in a small laundry room. There was no combustion air, and the vent pipe is touching the wood ceiling. Is there a combo combustion/exhaust vent for tankless water heaters, and if so is it zero clearance to wood? Roof was not walkable, forgot to take a closer look at the vent pipe above the roof but it looked like a normal vent pipe. Second question- 3/4" pipe from home to water heater. But there is several feet of 1/2 inch flexible copper pipe at the propane tank. Is this allowed, or does it have to be 3/4" pipe all the way to the tank. I'm going to check Rheem website after I finish the report. but figured I'd get better (and easier) info here.
    IMG_6232.JPGIMG_6221.JPG

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. (Thomas Edison)

Default Re: tankless water heater

Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    I inspected a home today that was extensively remodeled in 2013, with permits/inspections (I know- so what?). There is a Rheem 180,000 Btu tankless wh in a small laundry room. There was no combustion air, and the vent pipe is touching the wood ceiling. Is there a combo combustion/exhaust vent for tankless water heaters, and if so is it zero clearance to wood? Roof was not walkable, forgot to take a closer look at the vent pipe above the roof but it looked like a normal vent pipe. Second question- 3/4" pipe from home to water heater. But there is several feet of 1/2 inch flexible copper pipe at the propane tank. Is this allowed, or does it have to be 3/4" pipe all the way to the tank. I'm going to check Rheem website after I finish the report. but figured I'd get better (and easier) info here.
    IMG_6232.JPGIMG_6221.JPG
    Randy, I'm pretty sure that unit is sold only by Home Depot.. I have come across the exact same unit before. It uses a concentric vent pipe(pulls in combustion air and exhaust flue gas). I'm pretty sure it needs a 1" clearance around the pipe.
    This is a link to the install book.
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...f282f25a2f.pdf

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thanks, Scott, that is exactly what I was going to look for. It's not visible in my photo, but there is no tpr discharge line, so I had to recommend a plumber anyway.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    Thanks, Scott, that is exactly what I was going to look for. It's not visible in my photo, but there is no tpr discharge line, so I had to recommend a plumber anyway.
    most sealed combustion units with a concentric vent are zero clearance . There is a one inch clearance inside the pipe you see.