Thread: re-inspections

Default re-inspections

I don't like re-inspections. Here are excerpts from my "return visit policy' in my reports:

...so trying to schedule return visitsis very difficult. I can usuallyschedule return inspections within 72 hours, but the return visit cannot bescheduled for a specific day or time.

I try to be very detailed inthe report so you can determine if you wish to undertake repairs yourself, orso you can determine if they have been done properly. If I recommend a professional, such as anelectrician, you should ask for a copy of the work order or invoice.

If a return visit is necessary, I willreturn for a minimum fee of seventy five dollars ($75.00). This fee may be larger depending on how muchtime is required on site (e.g. if I have to enter the attic and crawlspaceagain). Return visits will only be toinspect improvements recommended in the original report, or to inspect itemsthat were not accessible or could not be inspected during the original visit. I must have a list of items to be checkedbefore returning to the property.

There are times when a re-inspection is justified, like a couple weeks ago when the sellers were not home and the award winning 1932 Ford Coupe was under the only attic access. I could not enter the attic, so we don't know if there were any problems.

I got a request to re-inspect a 4 plex, actually two duplexes on the same lot built at different times. There were numerous problems with the roof, electrical problems in every attic, etc. I figured my re-inspection would take a couple hours at least (4 different attic accesses, remember). I called the listing agent and he said a licensed roofer and electrician did the repairs (good contractors, in fact, I have used both of them). I called the buyers agent and told her this would be a couple hundred dollar re-inspection and most of it was not really necessary. She said the client insists and is willing to pay me up front.

So here (finally) is my question. Does anyone have stronger comments or policies regarding re-inspections? I would like to just say no, but there are times like the obstructed attic access or an out of town client when a re-inspection is not an unreasonable request. But if a licensed contractor made the improvements (and receipt is available) does anyone just refuse to do a re-inspection?

My plan is to change my comment to read a minimum fee of $150 (or more), and maybe say something about not re-inspecting items improved by a licensed contractor. And/or not re-inspecting items that any client could see for themselves.